Sigh...

Story: Opera Says It Can Still Compete In Browser BattleTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
1c3d0g

Oct 20, 2006
12:20 PM EDT
Presto should die already. Gecko, KHTML is all that matters. Trident must die too, but that will only happen when M$ is slaughtered.
hiohoaus

Oct 21, 2006
4:34 AM EDT
My most conservative website (it hosts SciFi books and a search engine for them) gets MSIE 72%, Firefox 21%, Netscape 3.5%, Opera 2.9% and everything else 0.6%.

Just 0.1% of the hits are non-Windows.

I'm sure that there are a few more "MSIE" entries in there which are really Opera & possibly on different platforms... but I'd have to be hog-tied before I'd use MSIE ahead of Opera, which is a fast, clean, stylish browser.

I typically use Firefox and Konqueror, but I do have Opera installed on this Linux laptop, and I do use it daily. It's less buggy than Firefox — overall — & runs stuff like JavaScript much more reliably than Konqueror (although Konq has caught up enormously in the last few releases; running KDE 3.5.4 right now).

If MS were producing Opera, they'd win the browser wars pretty much instantly — but they seem to have this “lock them in, let them rot” attitude to their users. As a user, I have to confess that facing that attitude sucks.

So I don't.

If I have to use 'Doze for more than an instant, it inherits Opera and Firefox, and MSIE gets as close as I can be bothered getting to complete de-installation. That's saved a couple of customers their networks, too.
tuxtom

Oct 21, 2006
11:40 PM EDT
Happy Opera user on Linux & WIndows since 1999.
hkwint

Oct 23, 2006
4:52 AM EDT
I looked at Opera 9 to (after the Firefox / Iceweasel thing), have been using Opera for a few years on Win98, XP, Linux 2.4 and 2.6. Opera still is a very good browser, if it was free software (or at least open source)I would immediately ditch Firefox and it would make my day. Unfortunately, I suffered from Opera quitting without a reason I could find, but it's great to have choices, and if there are severe leaks in Gecko and KHTML, it's great to have an alternative, only if it were for two or three days.

Personally, I believe Opera is more secure than Firefox, though I can't say for sure since Opera is Closed source Non-free.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!