nice XGL howto

Story: Howto: ATI fglrx driver+Xgl+compiz on Debian Sid for KDE usersTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tuxchick2

Oct 22, 2006
10:01 AM EDT
I've been dinking around a bit with XGL without success. This has a lot of information I hadn't found anywhere else- I shall report back if it works.
herzeleid

Oct 22, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
tc, you're using non-free drivers? for shame!
tuxchick2

Oct 22, 2006
11:50 AM EDT
I hang my head in shame. I sit in sackcloth and ashes regularly to atone.

My main workstation has some sort of antique Nvidia card, and my shiny digital editing workstation has a newer Nvidia card. My perty new laptop has onboard ATI. It's not easy to escape proprietary clutches in video. Intel's promises of an open hardware spec and drivers are still vapor. AMD hints that they may open up ATI chips, but who knows. For good 3D I'm not aware of any workable open source alternatives. Suggestions welcome. :(

I remember the olden days of many different video vendors- where did they all go?
jimf

Oct 22, 2006
12:06 PM EDT
> I remember the olden days of many different video vendors- where did they all go?

Like most other hardware business they've combined to become monopolies.
herzeleid

Oct 22, 2006
2:56 PM EDT
Well, the good news is, the latest intel video chips are pretty darn nice, and give acceptable performance with FOSS drivers. If you're buying a new system, look for an intel mobo with onboard i965 -
jimf

Oct 22, 2006
2:59 PM EDT
> onboard i965 -

And the separate graphics cards?
herzeleid

Oct 22, 2006
4:42 PM EDT
Quoting: jimf: And the separate graphics cards?
no news there yet - but hey, integrated mobos are easy to find.
jimf

Oct 22, 2006
4:48 PM EDT
A number of other OEM's do a better job of making MB's than does Intel. I know that I for one would like that Option.
dcparris

Oct 22, 2006
7:41 PM EDT
Hey herzeleid, any chance of talking you into compiling a short list of the Intel mobos with i965?

I really don't care for integrated stuff, but I could see me giving an Intel mobo a shot, if only to have libre graphics drivers that support Compiz/GLX. ;-) Ahhh Freedom!
herzeleid

Oct 22, 2006
7:48 PM EDT
Quoting: dcparris: Hey herzeleid, any chance of talking you into compiling a short list of the Intel mobos with i965?
I'll try and see what I can find - but I have to tell you up front that things are crazy lately, I've got 2 midterms this week, and this AI class is schooling me bad.
dcparris

Oct 22, 2006
8:20 PM EDT
Awww! Take your time. There's no rush on this. I think it would be cool to make the list available in various places for people to find. It's not as big a deal as the PC vendors' list, but we might make sure the PC vendors know about it. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!