Not too bad of a game

Story: Dirk Dashing: Secret Agent released for LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
KohlyKohl

Oct 29, 2006
5:38 AM EDT
Its a fun side scrolling game. What really interested me though was the installer it used, bitrock. I've never seen it before and it really was a great program. Its also multiplatform, creates and uninstaller and installs without root access.
GolfHacker

Oct 29, 2006
7:01 PM EDT
Thanks for trying our game!

We were very pleased with Bitrock - the installer they provide is top-notch! It makes installing on Linux so much more user-friendly than RPM or other distro-specific mechanisms, and it was much easier on us as developers. As far as I am concerned, it was well worth the money!

However, I should point out that the current version of Bitrock InstallBuilder didn't do one thing we wanted - it did not create the system menu items for us. It creates a desktop shortcut, but no system menu items. Fortunately, though, the installer does provide a mechanism for launching post-install and pre-uninstall scripts, so we were able to create a script to generate the system menu items for us (on LSB-compliant distros) using xdg-desktop-menu. Bitrock did automatically generate an uninstaller, which was great, so we added a convenient menu item for that too.

Bitrock keeps improving their product, so I imagine that soon it will provide a way to create system menu items as part of its basic configuration. I highly recommend Bitrock for any commercial company that wants to provide an easy-to-use installer for their product, and that will work on a wide range of distros.

Troy Hepfner My Game Company
jdixon

Oct 30, 2006
6:11 AM EDT
GolfHacker:

I mentioned the games and your web page to my wife, and it looks like you've already gotten another satisfied customer (once the minor problems with your retailer taking orders over $50 was straightened out). I'll try out the Linux version of Dirk Dashing later, but I don't really use my Linux box for gaming, so I doubt I'll buy it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!