A small nit

Story: The GPLv3 Debate: Focusing On the IssuesTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2006
7:53 AM EDT
>If the developer chooses the GPLv3 because it's "popular", and later complains that it's "too rigid" or "political", then she chose the license for the wrong reason.

In the case of software with a single developer, or a small team of like-minded developers, this is no problem. Realizing their mistake, they can simply release the software under GPLV2.

In the case of a large project, it becomes a bigger problem.

The biggest difficulty might be one of explaining to potential users of GPL'd software just what the heck the GPL means and why there is a V2 and a V3 and why it matters to whom when.

Gives me shivers.
jimf

Nov 02, 2006
9:28 AM EDT
dino, dino... You make it sound so complex. Just let those people google it. Plenty of info sources to choose from. I figure there's got to be... at minimum... say 200,000 full pages of info on the subject(s) out there.

Of course 80-90% of it's unduly biased one way or another, and, another 80-90% of it is just plain drivel... Doesn't quite add up, does it... But hey, don't worry... I'm sure the average Rhodes scholar can get to the crux of it all in a year or two.
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2006
9:37 AM EDT
jimf -

So long as it only takes a Rhodes scholar.
jdixon

Nov 02, 2006
1:44 PM EDT
> I figure there's got to be... at minimum... say 200,000 full pages of info on the subject(s) out there.

We've probably accounted for several thousand of them here ourselves.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!