Dutch, not German

Story: NL: ATI Linux Driver 8.30.3Total Replies: 4
Author Content
incinerator

Nov 04, 2006
7:29 AM EDT
I'm afraid the article is not written in German. It rather looks like Dutch to me.
hkwint

Nov 04, 2006
7:57 AM EDT
You're right. After someone changed it to DK (Denmark? What has that got to do with it?) it's now fixed. Scott doesn't speak Dutch that well I believe :)
dcparris

Nov 04, 2006
8:22 AM EDT
Glad to see this is getting worked out! Yes, bear in mind our American editors are not as apt to grasp the differences between similar languages - at least, those of us who have not been exposed to that.

Bob and I might be a bit different. He speaks German, and I've been to Germany, Belgium, and Luxembourg. I also used to build model ships (whose instructions came in 6 different languages). I didn't learn the languages, but I can spot the differences a little better as a result. ;-) I've also studied French, Spanish, and Thai, Biblical Greek, and done some mod-langing to boot.

I'm currently digitizing some German audio tapes so I can "listen & learn" via my iAudio U3. :-) I'll take it slow, but I already know more than I've known all my life.

Bis später!
hkwint

Nov 04, 2006
9:21 AM EDT
It seems even our American editors are rather 'European aware' to me! Great to see you have such an interest for languages Don, and you have been to Europe. I have never been outside Europe, but that might change this Christmas (depending on how expensive the last-minute holidays are). I wish I could read all languages you do!
dcparris

Nov 04, 2006
12:40 PM EDT
Ya gotta remember, I was born in Weisbaden, Germany. When I came to the states, I didn't know how to speak English! Now I don't know German. :-( I forget a lot of what I've learnt, but I have learned a great deal about how various languages work. What really surprises me is how close to German English really is. Yeah, I know, English was heavily influenced by Northern Europe down through the years. But the similarities are still kind of surprising. Interestingly, I do much bettter with reading and writing than with actually speaking and listening. I suppose that's kind of natural though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!