This one bends my brain a bit...

Story: Microsoft May Indemnify Some Red Hat Linux UsersTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Nov 16, 2006
9:00 AM EDT
I've been saying for a long time that Microsoft's business interests have shifted with the rise of Linux and free software. They can't ignore it any more. There is a business incentive to get along at some levels, if not quite play nice.

So...What does this mean if Microsoft says it will indemnify it's customers who use Red Hat?

Are they losing business that could be saved by indemnifying customers? Does this put a different spin on the Novell deal? Is it just a bunch of PR BS designed to muddy the waters?

Me poor old noggin hurts, boss.
jimf

Nov 16, 2006
9:15 AM EDT
Obviously, something is going on, but, this is more about what we don't know than about any reality. Everyone is just doing spin and speculation at the moment. Of course that's what MS is good at, and, may be the whole purpose of the exercise.
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2006
9:23 AM EDT
Mine too. It's difficult to not start from the "what are those evil backstabbing sods up to now" and look for the worst.

Three things stand out for me:

1. They keep saying "it was Hosvepian's idea", which I translate as "Linux asked for it" 2. They keep bleating about "interoperability". Well shucky darn, since us Linux meanies haven't been sharing our intelekshul proppity fair n square, they have to make deals like this to get a seat at the table. 3. Microsoft has given the official signal that the commie un-American GPL has to be taken seriously

It's probably no more than PR BS, and a feeble move to put pressure on Red Hat to also dance with the devil.
dinotrac

Nov 16, 2006
11:47 AM EDT
tc -

I think point # 3 is important. Until now, Microsoft's strategy has been to keep people from trying Linux. Sounds like they have officially given up on that thankless task.
jdixon

Nov 16, 2006
1:16 PM EDT
> I think point # 3 is important. Until now, Microsoft's strategy has been to keep people from trying Linux. Sounds like they have officially given up on that thankless task.

I'd say so, yes. Which means that Linux is well and truly entrenched at their customer sites, or they'ed never have even considered this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!