Bravo

Story: Red Hat Doesn't Want MonoTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
jsusanka

Nov 22, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
Bravo Bravo! I think more distros should follow.

We should stay away from mono as far as we can. Tomboy was nice but I can live without - I have sticky notes and they work just as well - never really used the linking of notes on Tomboy.

on ubuntu it is real easy to get rid of mono

apt-get remove libmono

and digikam is much better than F-spot anyway and that is what I used in the first place.

sorry miguel but if I were you I would drop mono like the hot potato that it is.

just my opinion though - I won't be using any .net or mono app. java is really the way to go now that sun has released it. thank you SUN!!!
herzeleid

Nov 22, 2006
8:21 PM EDT
I agree, I could live without mono - although it was very nice to have mono available when, in my CS courses where C# programs were required, I was able to do it all, microsoft-free. If there had been no mono, I would have been stuck setting up some sort of windoze peecee, getting the ms dev tools, drinking the ms coolaid etc, setting it all up and learning the peecee dev environment.. Very glad I was able to avoid all that nonsense and just do it on linux.

In general though, C# is basically just java with some gratuitous changes - Java has a much more widespread support base, and is a mature and complete language, but still improving and evolving - and with Sun putting it under GPL, new advantages to java begin to present themselves like ripe fruit falling from a tree.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!