More Mozilla Craziness

Story: Mozilla vs. Debian: A Crazy DisputeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
galeru

Nov 27, 2006
6:51 PM EDT
The thing that really irks me more than the fact that Debian was required to change Firefox to Iceweasel, is that, contrary to Ubuntu needing to change also, Mozilla just decided that they could come to an agreement leaving it for Ubuntu. Honestly, how exactly does that work? How is Ubuntu exempt? I really hope it isn't because Ubuntu has more clout than Debian, but I can see that happening. Does anyone know why, exactly, Ubuntu gets to keep Firefox, while Debian's left in the ice?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 27, 2006
10:08 PM EDT
I think Ubuntu has avoided the problem. It's based off a Debian unstable snapshot taken before the firefox->iceweasel switchover. It faces the same situation as Debian with it's current Feisty snapshot. We'll see how it pans out.

But I agree with the original article. If Linux, Gnome and many others can find a way to let Debian use their trademarks, why can't Mozilla?
rijelkentaurus

Nov 28, 2006
2:46 AM EDT
>It faces the same situation as Debian with it's current Feisty snapshot. We'll see how it pans out.

Shuttleworth said in an interview recently that a deal was reached that would allow them to continue calling it Firefox. I'll look around when opportunity allows and see if I can find that link and post it.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 28, 2006
4:03 AM EDT
That would be very nice, thanks. I missed that message.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!