gNewSense

Story: A Challenge To Canonical, Red Hat, Novell, Linspire, and All Linux Distributors: Put Up or Shut UpTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Andreas

Nov 28, 2006
5:09 PM EDT
"and finding more excuses to bundle binary proprietary code"

By its very nature gNewSense doesn't bundle or ship proprietary software. Should you find some, please report a bug.
devnet

Nov 28, 2006
6:28 PM EDT
gNewSense is silly IMO. If I wanted Ubuntu without proprietary software, I'd use Debian. Honestly, it's reinventing the wheel and taking credit for it.
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2006
7:30 PM EDT
The article doesn't say that gNewSense bundles or ships proprietary software.
dcparris

Nov 28, 2006
10:15 PM EDT
TC: I think the OP was just bragging. Possibly a member of the gNewSense team? ;-)
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2006
10:36 PM EDT
Oh well, OK then!
rijelkentaurus

Nov 29, 2006
1:59 AM EDT
>gNewSense is silly IMO. If I wanted Ubuntu without proprietary software, I'd use Debian.

I believe that the point of gNewSense is that proprietary software is not included at all, whereas Debian has repositories for nonfree items. gNewSense will never contain the option to tempt users. I personally don't see anything silly about it.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 29, 2006
2:31 AM EDT
Nope. Debian also ships a few binary blobs as part of the standard install. They're nearly required unfortnately or most installs will fail. They're working on reverse engineering them for some time. IIRC most distro's ship those, even FC. gNewSense removes even these essential drivers so will likely not work correctly on most computers.
Andreas

Nov 29, 2006
3:15 AM EDT
"Can you please take a time out from endlessly forking and doing your own things, and finding more excuses to bundle binary proprietary code"

where "you" could refer to the list of distributors that included gNewSense.

But if nobody, including the author, looked at it that way, there's no problem at all. I'm just writing this to show what inspired my OP.
dcparris

Nov 29, 2006
6:55 AM EDT
Given the recent news about gNewSense, I doubt most of us saw it that way. Carla might have intended for gNewSense and other distros to get involved as well, regardless of their position on non-Free software. Grammatically, it would depend heavily on context, but saves a bit of typing. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!