Mostly utilities

Story: Top 10 Killer Apps For LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Dec 03, 2006
4:35 PM EDT
Not really a lot of killer apps. Someone in the comments mentioned SugarCRM as a killer app, and I would have to agree with that one. Contact management, email client, a bit of project planning and document management, all in the free version. Then there's the paid versions and it gets better.

The article hopefully makes for interesting discussion, because otherwise it's rather pointless.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2006
4:47 PM EDT
Best comment I saw questioned whether it is possible to have a killer Linux app that is free software.

Think about it -- much of the stuff that comes to mind (OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL,GIMP, FIrefox) has Windows ports, or, by the nature of free software, could have Windows ports.
richo123

Dec 03, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
Seemed like a boring recent Winblows convert. Ubuntu gets a lot of them. Not that I'm complaining about that but their zealotry wears thin rather fast....
rijelkentaurus

Dec 03, 2006
5:53 PM EDT
>Think about it -- much of the stuff that comes to mind (OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL,GIMP, FIrefox) has Windows ports, or, by the nature of free software, could have Windows ports.

That's not a bad thing, because you often lose the need for MS software. My first encounters with FOSS were Firefox and OpenOffice. Once you break the Redmond chains in one thing, it becomes easier and more likely to break them in every way.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2006
6:07 PM EDT
>That's not a bad thing,

I agree completely. However, the platform neutrality of much free software does tend to remove it from the killer application for linux category.
jimf

Dec 03, 2006
7:20 PM EDT
Lol, that old urban legend... Email, Text editor, word processor, spreadsheet, The program for graphics manipulation, etc., etc... The only reason that there was ever a killer app was because they were the only ones at the time. After that, It's just evolution.

The only real killer application is the OS itself in conjunction with the computer, and I'm not sure that isn't just evolving too.
watux

Dec 03, 2006
11:12 PM EDT
jimf: evolution? The selection force in question was hardly natural. (-:
jimf

Dec 04, 2006
6:09 AM EDT
> The selection force in question was hardly natural. (-:

Did you hear me say 'natural' evolution?
number6x

Dec 04, 2006
6:56 AM EDT
gcc

The first Open Source 'killer app'.

After that EMACS, then TCP/IP(I know a protocol set, not an app), then Apache, then perl.

These programs have changed the way the world works and plays, even though most people do not realize it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!