So True

Story: Unwise Hollywood laws hurting U.S. industryTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Dec 08, 2006
4:13 PM EDT
>If the U.S. cannot create them, then other countries will soon DOMINATE

**pulls out soapbox**

This is so true of so many things. This empire is starting to decay from the inside out. We no longer innovate, we no longer inspire, we no longer pursue lofty ideals, and as manufacturing continues to goes overseas, we no longer produce goods in the volumes that we once did. What we do is drop bombs that each cost enough to feed the population of many third world countries for a year.

Hopefully we can turn it around. If not, it's going to be a long downhill drive. Empires don't crumble overnight, and they don't go down quietly.

**puts soapbox away**
Sander_Marechal

Dec 08, 2006
4:43 PM EDT
I don't agree fully. From the article:

Quoting:It is foolish to worry about the SAVING, or SHARING of media, since soon it will be so widely available that it will seem unthinkable to save your own copy, when you can instantly access it again On-Demand any time you like.

Only if on-demand is free. If not, then everyone will just keep on saving and ripping so they can move anything between machines themselves. Hell, they'll probably download stuff once from the commecial on-demand service and then upload them to their personal on-demand service connected to all their machines. There's still the saving & ripping stage in between.
jimf

Dec 08, 2006
5:39 PM EDT
> instantly access

Yep, 'Pay per view' is in your future.
BarryMead

Dec 09, 2006
4:28 AM EDT
Only if on-demand is free

If you read my article you will see that from the perspective of the "Broadband User" On-Demand IS free.

Just as your individual TV shows are free when you buy cable television. You pay a monthly broadband access fee and everything after that IS absolutley free and you can access any peice of media you like as many times as you like. This service has Obvious intrinsic VALUE, and customers will be willing to pay a reasonable fee (About as much as their current High-Speed internet fees, and Cable TV fees combined) to have access to these great media collections. Automatically, and completely unknown to the broadband consumer, money is paid to the individual Copyright Holders as the media selections get accessed.
BarryMead

Dec 09, 2006
5:01 AM EDT
The best way to think of this is a "MONTHLY CABLE TV" fee that you pay, but instead of watching only the shows/songs/pictures whatever that they choose to broadcast, you get to select which shows you want to watch for yourself.

Instead of being paid for by the "COMMERCIALS" the copyright holders get thier money automatically from the broadband service provider based on how much "BANDWIDTH-TIME" is used handling their products.

Initially Hollywood will think this is not such a great deal, but eventually they will realize that they can actually make more money than they ever did before.

This is because they currently make NO MONEY with songs/shows that are broadcast on TV or Radio stations. (They only get the money from the advertisers, or a small one-time use fee paid by some TV stations. Radio stations pay NOTHING when they play songs on the radio)

With this system the cash register rings every time the Work is touched, by everyone that touches it, and the profits are automatically collected by the Content Service Providers. The profits to Copyright Holders will multiply Geometrically.

Hollywood has been worried about copying for NO-REASON at all.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 09, 2006
5:06 AM EDT
There's a great article about that on El Reg. For a mere $10 per person a *year* the RIAA would make more money than they ever did and people would be able to download, copy and share anyting as much as they like. They tried to implement it in France but the bill didn't pass because big media was against it. They want micropayments, not a flat rate.
BarryMead

Dec 09, 2006
5:20 AM EDT
This system has everything that everyone wants!

From the "Copyright Holders" point of view it is a "PAY PER VIEW" system. From the "Broadband Users" point of view it is a "Totally Free View Anything You Want System"

Everyone is happier, everyone makes more money, Content choice is unlimited. Fears of "ILLEGAL COPYING" are completely eliminated.

No one has any reason to hold back new ideas or new technology.
dinotrac

Dec 09, 2006
6:28 AM EDT
BarryMead -

ALMOST everything that everyone wants.

It amounts to a tax on broadband users for the benefit of Hollywood, etc. People who don't use the content will subsidize people who do.

Is that a terrible thing?

It bothers me, but not enough to jump up and down. In my view, the net tradeoff preserves my freedom more than the forced allocation of my funds depletes it, depending, of course, on the ever-present fine print.

However, such a scheme would need a public airing out, and we sould need to understand the role of copyright holders in setting the tax rate.
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
dino, you far too civilized. Everyone knows the barbarian solution is the optimal choice- fling all the execs of the MAFIAA into the tar pits, and broadcast the event as a warning to wannabe MAFIAA leaders.
dinotrac

Dec 09, 2006
9:32 AM EDT
tc -

I like your approach better.

Tell me...would we light the tar pits on fire first?
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2006
10:09 AM EDT
Hey, there's a fundraising opportunity. Sell matches at a dollar each and use the money to buy off some congresscritters to restore a bit of sanity to copyright laws. I wonder how much overturning the DMCA would cost?
Sander_Marechal

Dec 09, 2006
10:32 AM EDT
8 figures minium, perhaps even 9. That's a *lot* of matches.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 09, 2006
11:09 AM EDT
>8 figures minium, perhaps even 9. That's a *lot* of matches.

I'll buy 10.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!