Don't panic!

Story: MySQL Quietly Drops Support for Most Linux DistributionsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
TPuffin

Dec 14, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
Check the comments on the linked story, or other better sources of information. The story appears to stem from a miscommunication. The real message seems to be "we haven't built official binaries of the new version for the Debian platform yet, but we're working on it. Meanwhile here's a tarball," as opposed to "we don't support that anymore."
dinotrac

Dec 14, 2006
11:22 AM EDT
TPuffin...

A tarball?

You call that support? Who wants black sticky stuff all over your server?
jimf

Dec 14, 2006
11:51 AM EDT
Well, I'm sure that there will eventually be an actual Debian deb, If not, I can see a lot of people switching to postgres...
dinotrac

Dec 14, 2006
12:01 PM EDT
>If not, I can see a lot of people switching to postgres...

They should be doing that anyway. Not quite as fast as MySQL in certain applications...but not far behind. But...

More complete, more free, and solid as a rock.
tuxchick

Dec 14, 2006
12:57 PM EDT
I want tar for my databases, so the data will stick firmly and not fall out.
dthacker

Dec 14, 2006
1:41 PM EDT
tarballs are awesome, especially when they leave behind the sticky bits. Yes , it *is* too close to the end of the day to be productive.

Dave
tuxchick

Dec 14, 2006
1:53 PM EDT
My excuse is I still have the flu, and have been enjoying weird fever dreams and Netflix movies. Not sure which is which, but does it matter?

Amazing how quickly misinformation spreads in this here modern world, all the way up to "It's a Microsoft conspiracy."
dcparris

Dec 14, 2006
2:32 PM EDT
You mean there's something that _isn't_ a Microsoft conspiracy?
tuxchick

Dec 14, 2006
2:51 PM EDT
um..well...um... yeah, sure! Lots of things!

umm...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!