A great review of Debian Etch

Story: Debian Etch: So Easy A Newbie Can Do ItTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dsTst

Dec 19, 2006
5:33 AM EDT
Enjoyed the review very much . A couple of questions....

Did you do the net install or download all the ISOs and burn them on to CDs before starting the installation? If a net install, how much time did it take to finish installation. Just curious.

And did the Gnome desktop work flawlessly ? In the past I have installed Debian etch and even though I found all the things to work to my satisfaction, The Gnome Application menu was flickering continuously when I clicked on the menu.

I hope this problem was rectified since then. Either way I look forward to the final release of Debian Etch.

jimf

Dec 19, 2006
5:52 AM EDT
> Did you do the net install or download all the ISOs and burn them on to CDs before starting the installation? If a net install, how much time did it take to finish installation. Just curious.

I've done both, but usually netinstall. That's what Don used. As for time... Do you have broadband? If not, you usually only have to download the first two iso's of the set to do a rather complete install.
dcparris

Dec 19, 2006
9:33 AM EDT
I actually did not track the time this time. jimf is correct, I used the net-install - he's the one that got me started. It didn't need my attention for much though. I haven't noticed any problems with GNOME's (or KDE's) menus.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review!
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2006
9:45 AM EDT
I heart the net-install. So much faster than downloading a wad of .isos, which get outdated in a hurry anyway. Plus it's easy to set up a local mirror with apt-proxy for multiple local net-installs. This doesn't create a complete mirror, which is like eleventy-nine gigabytes, but it creates a local repo from packages that you download for installation. Very fast, and it updates itself.

jimf

Dec 19, 2006
9:58 AM EDT
While I remember it...

Don said: > I did not manage to play an Ogg-Vorbis file

you need 'liboggflac++2' for Ogg-Vorbis... yes, it is completly free :) I also suggest you install 'sox' for the programs background noise. A glaring ommision imo.
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2006
10:04 AM EDT
Don left out part of that sentence:

" I did not manage to play an Ogg-Vorbis file on my piano."

Though there are computerized full-sized pianos now which relieve you of the tedium of actually sitting down to press the keys your own self. The very idea is depressing, sheesh. Proof that there is no such thing as fiction:

The Machine Stops, by E.M. Forster http://brighton.ncsa.uiuc.edu/prajlich/forster.html
jimf

Dec 19, 2006
10:10 AM EDT
> Proof that there is no such thing as fiction:

Or perhaps that fiction is our only reality ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!