Dec 25, 2006
2:19 PM EDT
File, Export as PDF.

Done.

Works on any platform.
dcparris

Dec 25, 2006
3:30 PM EDT
True that. It's just another FOSS tool. ;-)
jimf

Dec 25, 2006
3:39 PM EDT
Thanks hiohoaus, I didn't know... Guess that shows how long it's been since I used Windows to any extent :) .
herzeleid

Dec 25, 2006
4:34 PM EDT
Quoting: jimf: Thanks hiohoaus, I didn't know... Guess that shows how long it's been since I used Windows to any extent :) .
I'm confused. Did you mean to say X-windows?

Puzzled in Torrance
jimf

Dec 25, 2006
5:15 PM EDT
> Did you mean to say X-windows?

No, MS Windows.
Alcibiades

Dec 25, 2006
11:56 PM EDT
Very valuable feature of OO, especially appreciated by authors in some circumstances where they wish to submit their work in a form which will not readily allow covert editing, or at least not easily, or not by unsophisticated end users.
swbrown

Dec 26, 2006
12:22 AM EDT
An "Export to PDF" isn't as good as a virtual printer driver that prints to PDF, which is what PDFCreator does on Windows (it's a must-have for Windows installs). It enables anything that can print to save PDF, even if it wasn't originally intended.

In the GNU/Linux world we've always been able to print to PostScript and work from there, but Windows wasn't capable of things like that. Still, converting from PostScript directly to PDF means you can't use a lot of PDF's indexing features. The evolution of printing will be sending that higher order information to the printer - I've not printed anything in so long I forgot where folks were on this, but I think the idea was to replace the "Everything sends PostScript" to "Everything sends PDF".
jezuch

Dec 26, 2006
3:21 AM EDT
Quoting:it's a must-have for Windows installs

Absolutely! I used to use it a lot at work :)

Quoting:Windows wasn't capable of things like that

Actually in the old days I used a driver of a PS-enabled printer. But then, you couldn't do much with the result...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!