kdm/gdm not working

Story: Debian Etch: So Easy A Newbie Can Do ItTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
gaman

Dec 26, 2006
12:24 AM EDT
After installing the etch RC1, I did all these steps...

i) apt-get update ii) apt-get install xorg iii) apt-get install kdm iv) apt-get install kde-core

I rebooted and there the KDE log in screen. Excitedly I entered my username and password but to my dismay only the debian background appeared no icons or menu at all. I did notice that during the initialising of services it kinda of got stuck.

Disappointingly, I apt-get install GDM, hoping that it will solve my gui problem and restarted again. It's still the same.....no icons or menu.

Can someone tell where did I go wrong? Thanks.
swbrown

Dec 26, 2006
2:21 AM EDT
I've not tried to install KDE on Etch RC1, but instead of trying to install it manually in pieces, why not test out the KDE task? You can do this via aptitude - go down to "Tasks", "End-User", and select "KDE desktop environment", and select to install it "+", "g" to prepare, "g" to install.
jimf

Dec 26, 2006
3:14 AM EDT
> After installing the etch RC1, I did all these steps...

Ok, many do it that way, but that's not my recomendation... especially on a first attempt.

> I rebooted and there the KDE log in screen.

So, KDM is working fine. The problem is with KDE.

I would suggest an apt-get install kde, but first remove kde-core since you say their was a glitch the first time. I think it's much easier to remove what you don't need in kde once you get everything up and running.

Oh, and don't forget to get synaptic. You'll be needing that once you get into kde.

Abe

Dec 26, 2006
8:14 AM EDT
Quoting:Excitedly I entered my username and password but to my dismay only the debian background appeared no icons or menu at all.
Try this easy to do steps before going through all sorts of install/updates

It looks like you have a problem with KDE init files stored in your home directory under .kde folder. Here is what I would try - Since you have no access to anything yet, right click on the background and select "Run Command" - Enter konsole and click "run" - You will be in your home, rename the .kde directory to something like .kde-old. i.e. (mv .kde .kde-old) - Logout and log back in.

Hope this helps.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!