This is a great opportunity for Linux

Story: A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content ProtectionTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
number6x

Dec 27, 2006
12:58 PM EDT
Linux is already a major player in the film and animation industies. This is a great opportunity for Linux to move into the world of medical imaging.

Linux can provide the OS for the workstations that do the imaging, and the OS for the high-availability file servers that store and retrieve the images. The national labs already have a great many tools used in analyzing of images in High Energy Physics and Astronomy, these tools are already used on Linux. These tools could form the basis of tools for use in medical image study (can you smell the research grant money from Fujitsu and GE?).

I don't think the movie and film industry is going to support the blue ray and HD-DVD technologies on Linux any time soon, but in the long run these are not really important. Those MPAA guys want maximum DRM (and minimum profits).

Linux is good at doing enterprise class work. Linux is good at the kind of things like the medical industry needs.

Let the hobby level software suppliers, like the stuff from Microsoft, support people watching movies on their big screens.

In 5 or 10 years, when the MPAA has moved on to its latest versions of DRM enabled content delivery, Linux will support the "old" technology of Blu-ray and HD-dvd.
phsolide

Dec 29, 2006
5:54 AM EDT
I think Gutmann's point included Vista making *all* hardware that Vista can use more expensive. No real price discrimination by the mobo, video card or soudn card folks, as each board has to have a unique, very specialized design.

I can't really foretell what might happen: I can't believe people bought Windows NT 3.5, much less 4.0, Windows 2000 and XP. I didn't (and still wouldn't) buy that junk at any price - last PC I bought came from Wal-Mart, *without* an OS. Barnum-style economics might prevail, as might MSFT's now-legalized monopoly.

Although medical gear is really, really cool, and indeed, is some of the only mass-manufactured stuff I've seen in years that's actually engineered, the whole health care industry in the US has already spun out of control. A significant fraction of the cost of health care goes to figuring out the billing. I doubt that industry can or will take up linux in any big way until it suffers a major catastrophe. Sort of like how Russian spelling got normalized and reformed after the 1917 revolution, or how Turkey adopted a latin alphabet after the Ottoman Empire collapsed in the early 1920s. A time of great flux and chaos will have to happen for anything to change in medical administration.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!