Debian Etch Succeeds With Laptop Glidepad

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dcparris

Dec 31, 2006
11:56 AM EDT
O.k., I have installed SUSE 10.0, Ubuntu Hoary, Breezy & Dapper, and Kubuntu Dapper on my Dell Latitude C610 laptop. All failed to correctly configure the Alps glidepad, and even editing my xorg.conf file didn't fix it. The mouse pointer always did a diagonal dance on me, going from the lower-left to upper-right corners (or vice-versa). I actually had assumed my glidepad was broken (it's a refurbished box with no OS). I had never had Windows on it to see the pad working, and using a USB cordless laptop mouse was equally problematic.

On a whim, when booting my laptop, I unplugged the PS2 mouse and have been using the glidepad without a hitch for roughly 24 hours. So my question is, what's the diff? Why, with Ubuntu being Debian based, would it fail and Debian succeed? SUSE seems to have something of a hit-or-miss record with hardware, so I can't say about that one. But Ubuntu has a reputation for working well on laptops - one of the key reasons I tried it.

Any thoughts?
jimf

Dec 31, 2006
1:34 PM EDT
> Why, with Ubuntu being Debian based, would it fail and Debian succeed?

Cause they've effectively forked.

> But Ubuntu has a reputation for working well on laptops

And you heard this where???

I've originally had an older version of mepis which worked 'ok' on my Presario 1500, then Kanotix (which really has a reputation for laptops), finally the latest Debian testing. I'm finding the Debian build to be the best of the three. Just evolution I guess.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 31, 2006
1:54 PM EDT
>And you heard this where???

I had no problem with Ubuntu on my laptop...I just have problems with Ubuntu, lol. It's a IBM Thinkpad G41.

Download and try the live CD PCLinuxOS. It's the easiest to use on my laptop of any I have come across, and since it's live you don't have to install it to see how it behaves with the hardware. I thought it was cool that you could setup things like wireless using the live CD, then install it and have the settings transfer.

However, if Debian is working, use Debian. It's a great distro, too.
dcparris

Dec 31, 2006
3:36 PM EDT
Yeah, I have no intention of changing from Debian on the laptop - especially now that I know my glidepad really works. ;-) I was just curious how Ubuntu managed to bungle the glidepad bit. I do plan to test out PCLOS on another box though.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 31, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
>I do plan to test out PCLOS on another box though.

If I can request it, can you try it out on that laptop to see if it works from the live CD? You won't have to install anything and then you can reboot back into Debian.

PPPPPlease??

8)

You cannot post until you login.