"DRM had no effect at all"

Story: DRM on audio CD's abolishedTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
robntina

Jan 09, 2007
8:03 AM EDT
this is a key point.

"Honest people will always be honest people and DRM doesn't stop people who have ill intentions anyway".

Even then I would bet that most "sharing" of mp3 files is by kids who don't think about it at all. I bet record companies still benefit though.

When I was a kid every tape or CD I bought I had first as a "copy" I got from a friend. If I did not like it I did not listen to it anyway and at least it did not cost me $15 to find out It sucked. If I did like it, I bought one myself and often times I bought the rest of an artists albums as well. without the "illegal copy" that was "shared" with me I would not have purchased any of it.

As I matured into an adult and I started to think about such things, I realized that it was wrong for me to steal media and I stopped. Ironically perhaps, I have not purchased much music since. I don't steal it, I just completely lost interest. I may buy something for my kids or my wife now and again but thats about it.

dcparris

Jan 09, 2007
9:00 AM EDT
I have purchased very little music in the last 10 years. I listen to most of my music on the radio or not at all.
jdixon

Jan 09, 2007
9:26 AM EDT
> I listen to most of my music on the radio or not at all.

DC, not everyone has The Ride in their listening area. :)
DarrenR114

Jan 09, 2007
10:33 AM EDT
Most of the radio I listen to isn't even from this century ... Jack Benny, Suspense, Green Hornet, Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Phil Harris and Alice Faye etc. etc. etc.

dcparris

Jan 09, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
With the exception of Doc Watson, et. al., much of what I listen to isn't even from the last century = Beethoven, Mozart, and the gang. :-) Unfortunately, as classy as our '90 Olds 98 Regency is, it still doesn't know the difference between me and my daughter. I didn't know you could play stuff like that on the airwaves! Actually, she's gotten better - at least most of her choices have actual music involved. :-)
techiem2

Jan 09, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
Quoting:it still doesn't know the difference between me and my daughter

That's why you need the new M$ Radio-DRM chip installed in your head and the corresponding transceiver installed in your car! Only $29.95 per month for all the radio you can handle! Automatically resets your favorites when you get in the car!

Fine Print: Not available for all head and car models. Favorites are set to the first person entering car and cannot be reset for 24 hours. Radio is automatically disabled if more than one person is in the car. Not responsible for anything that happens to you, your car, your passengers, or anything within 5 Million miles of your car. Features and prices are subject to change without notice. Humming or singing any playing song will result in a $.50 fine.

jimf

Jan 09, 2007
1:25 PM EDT
techiem2,

That's not even funny.... Another couple of years and your kids will 'beg you' to get one ;-).
hkwint

Jan 09, 2007
1:54 PM EDT
The DRM story reminds me about a funny'ancient' anecdote:

In the 18th century, the Vatican had 'its own' music (this anecdote is about a piece of Allegri). It was forbidden for anyone but the Vatican choir to see or perform the 'written' music. In other words, the Vatican controlled who was allowed to play or listen to the music. Then, along came Mozart at the age of fourteen, and after he only _listened_ to it, he went home and wrote down the more than 10 voices from his memory, thereby making an 'illegal copy'. He didn't know it was forbidden by the way.

So, there you have it. Even when there were no 'technical' means to copy music as nowadays, such as tape-recorders, microphones, typewriters or even personal computers, the mighty Vatican wasn't able to stop the 'illegal' copying of music. Even a "M$ Radio-DRM chip installed in your head" wouldn't have stopped Mozart.

Why would anyone think it would work nowadays?Probably because you can earn a lot by making Hollywood believe you have the holy grail of copyright protection, even if you don't believe that for yourself, I suppose. Not being able to make a secure operating system in more than ten years, and than acting like you can stop consumers from (ab)using your software to copy 'premium content', while you know copying has been day-to-day practice for more than five centuries, seems like the biggest bluff of this decade to me.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 09, 2007
2:15 PM EDT
Movie companies should spend more time and money creating quality content, and less time trying to fight people from "stealing" their work. Music producers should do the same.

Isn't about time for a remake of "The Terror"?

I shudder at a thought: That I could Google it and find out that there really is a plan to remake that movie. Oy.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 09, 2007
2:16 PM EDT
Quoting:Even when there were no 'technical' means to copy music as nowadays, such as tape-recorders, microphones, typewriters or even personal computers, the mighty Vatican wasn't able to stop the 'illegal' copying of music.

This kind of copying is now allowed and even forced unto authors and publishers. Anyone can take any song, write it down, play it, record it and sell it for profit. And it only costs you $0.092 per copy to boot. It's called compulsory licensing and it's what makes cover songs work. Problem is, today's spoiled audience doesn't want the cover. They want the real thing.
techiem2

Jan 09, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
jimf: Fortunately for the world I don't have kids (or a significant other for that matter).

:)
bigg

Jan 09, 2007
5:36 PM EDT
> I don't have kids (or a significant other for that matter).

Well maybe if you didn't spend so much time in the LXer forums...
jimf

Jan 09, 2007
7:23 PM EDT
techiem2,

In the moment that was actually very funny, but....

I remember seeing that the British Government has already said that they are interested in an ID chip. There have also been suggestions that criminals and resident aliens be tagged with these in the US. Considering the development of ID, and information, and GPU tracking chips, all of which could be made implantable, is fascinating and more than a little frightening.

Now I see Politicians being lobbied by Police and Parents to get little Johnny and little Suzie tagged to prevent their abduction. They make it sound reasonable and beneficial. After all, it's for the good of the children and they'll just take out the chip at the kids 16th birthday (of course). See how easy it is to get that technology past any civil rights issues? A little fear, protect your children, and...

How soon till somebody Comes up with a nice implantable communicator/mp3 player with GPU to tell you where you are, which also contains your medical information (for emergencies only). Of course, your credit, and personal information, as well as any arrest/criminal information, can be easily added... but you don't need to know about that. I can just see the trendy stone eaters and even the tech toy fans screaming 'how cool is that!'.... Nothing like getting you to give your freedom away voluntarily.

I have no doubt that the technology will progress to where this is all possible (if it isn't now). I Have no doubt that some in our governments want this, and, I think it's a very probable scenario. Really scary.
techiem2

Jan 10, 2007
6:36 AM EDT
As I recall, they already have chips for pets... Don't remember what all they hold though. And I believe I read that most cell phones these days have a GPS built in so they can locate you when you call 911 (even though YOU can't use the GPS for your own use. *grumble*).

So yeah, I'd say we're pretty close to the potential, I think it's mainly about the implementation now.

SamShazaam

Jan 10, 2007
7:05 AM EDT
Before the celebration begins, let us remember that the RIAA is still litigating.

The RIAA is still sending out their corporate lawyers to sue grandmothers, children, and anyone else that appears vulnerable. Like wolves they prefer to attack the weak and helpless. In their wake they leave financial ruination.

This is good news but is certainly not the end of matters. Make your own decisions but I don't want my money going to support people like this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!