yikes!

Story: NSA helps 'securing' Windows VistaTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
rsevenic

Jan 11, 2007
8:36 AM EDT
This should make 'foreign' governments feel much safer about deploying Vista. NSA would not install backdoors, would they? Not under this administration?

Richard
DarrenR114

Jan 11, 2007
8:57 AM EDT
Absolutely not! You have my word on that...
TPuffin

Jan 11, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
Naw. They can read your mail and tap your phone without asking, what do they need with a backdoor into your computer system?

My tax dollars at work. Sigh.
nalf38

Jan 11, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
SELinux was also developed jointly with the NSA, so let's not bag on MS too much for copying us. Imitation is the sincerist form of flattery. However, the different between SELinux and Vista is that we can see the source for SE.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 11, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
> SELinux was also developed jointly with the NSA, so let's not bag on MS too much for copying us.

You're missing something. SELinux is *used* by the NSA. Windows Vista is not. As far as I can find NSA IT policies online (there are a few anonymous comments here and there -- e.g. latest groklaw article) NSA has a strict "no Microsoft" policy. So, it the NSA isn't using it, why is it meddling with it's development? For the benifit of the general public? Riiight.....
swbrown

Jan 11, 2007
9:59 PM EDT
> NSA has a strict "no Microsoft" policy.

I'm not so sure about this, seeing as the explanation of the _NSAKEY thing (the only one that made sense) was that it was for the NSA to sign their own crypto services for their own use without having to submit them to MS. Since nothing has ever turned up publicly signed with that key, it sounds likely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!