This report is very important!

Story: EU study says open source could increase competitivenessTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
hkwint

Jan 15, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
Just a short articles out of the many of LXer, but this is a very important report. I read more of the reports Rishab Aiyer Gosh made, and it lasted several _years_ before this report was complete (also, a researcher from France, one from Italy, one from Ireland and one from Spain helped). I even waited (passively) for it to become available for more than a year now (but, that's just me being weird probably). 287 pages should give me something to read the coming days (just boasting, I probably won't read them all). I expect the report to contain real facts which we can use to show to people, if someone really wants to get the facts. Espacially, I'll be looking for info about how the patent system can threat software innovation.

Just if you're curious, the thing's here: (PDF)

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flo...

Enough material, and the summary (page 9-11) is a must-have-read for any FLOSS advocate!
purplewizard

Jan 16, 2007
6:43 AM EDT
It would be nice to skip the middle men with these releases though. I would much rather see a single paragraph explanation of the released report and a link to it directly than the news story written by a nobody trying (usually failing) to put a value added intelligent slant on the thing. Often a biased one at that.

A first hand posting much like your comment in fact. As often the actual news story doesn't even link to the report under discussion.

So thanks for the link
hkwint

Jan 16, 2007
8:22 AM EDT
Well, I will try to write a story about it at LXer. I hope I don't violate copyrights when quoting parts, but I already planned to do so! (so refers to writing the story, not violating the copyrights, ahem...)
hkwint

Jan 16, 2007
12:28 PM EDT
Phew, it took some work, but the new article is live: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/78650/index.html

Please let me know if you find any spelling / grammar errors, since I wanted to get it online as quick as possible.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!