what is wrong with this picture...no really, not a rhetorical question.

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
helios

Jan 31, 2007
2:06 AM EDT
No fiddling, no hacking, no adjusting...firefox just began rendering webpages thusly. Flock is provided in comparison. I thought I would ask here first to let some professional eyes have at it before I did anything else. I have uninstalled all extensions, uninstalled firefox then reinstalled...nothing has helped. Links are provided for your casual viewing. I am sure it is something simple...but then again, consider the person posting.

thanks

ken

http://70.116.29.212:8002/bad.png

http://70.116.29.212:8002/good.png
Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
2:21 AM EDT
Hmm, I can't open the links. Irritating proxies over here. Can you get the images up somewhere on port 80?
DarrenR114

Jan 31, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
Mayhaps it has something to do with your java plug-in?

When I visited lobby4linux.com, my Firefox v1.5 on Ubuntu 5.10, under GNOME, rendered it like the good.png - with the nice blue-themed tabs and everything.

I'm thinking you were just putting in a blatent plug for your site. ;-)

j/k

Darren

Abe

Jan 31, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
It displays properly with FF 1.5.0.9 on Windows XP (I am at work). I will try it later today on Linux with FF 2.0 at home or if I get the chance to boot PCLinuxOS on my laptop.
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
6:25 AM EDT
It also displays properly with IE 6. but the fonts are not that good.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
7:57 AM EDT
Finally in proxy-free land :-)

It looks like your CSS isn't parsed. Check that you haven't accidentally blocked the CSS file with adblock or something, or that you haven't accidentally disabled styles. If not, clear cookies and cache and try again. Hitting F5 (refresh) twice may also help. In firefox the first refresh usually only refreshes the page contents. The second refresh also refreshes what it links to (CSS, images, JS, etcetera).

PS: I noticed in the page spurce that SMF sets some theme-related javascript variables. Check that you haven't disabled javascript and that your console (under tools) doesn't generate any errors.
helios

Jan 31, 2007
3:08 PM EDT
ok...I am at a loss here. I probably did not communicate very well. Yes, Firefox refuses to render the graphics on any page I visit, not just the lobby4linux forums. I simply used that to illustrate.. Have checked the javascript enabled portions of the preferences and all is checked as it is supposed to be. I am going to venture into the land of about:config and see what I can see.

Ok, I'm going in...cover me....

btw, I cannot use port 80 for the links because it is in use. Let me try another and see if it works any better for the firewalled folks.

Here, brainstorm...photobucket link. http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q317/heliosl4l/bad.png

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q317/heliosl4l/good.png

Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
3:40 PM EDT
find your ~/.mozilla/firefox folder and delete it (uhm... backup bookmarks etcetera first). Perhaps something messed up your user stylesheets. These override site stylesheets and default styles. It looks very much like stylesheets aren't parsed.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2007
5:37 PM EDT
Helios:

What sander said. But don't delete it, just rename it. Then start Firefox (it'll create a new profile) and see if your problem is fixed. If it is, you have a bad profile. Just copy the essentials out of your old profile (mostly cookies, bookmarks, and extensions) into your new one, and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't fix it, I have no idea, as a complete reinstall should have overwritten everything but your profile.
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
6:25 PM EDT
Helios,

If you still having problems, download Mozilla "Web Developer Tools" add-on. It has a lot of tools that will be very helpful to troubleshoot.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
11:48 PM EDT
The firebug extension is even better than the web developer toolbar, though it can be a bit overwhelming.
helios

Feb 01, 2007
3:26 AM EDT
Got it...thanks guys. The LXer folks come through again...

But then again, they always do.

h

You cannot post until you login.