Great news But

Story: Novell lands major Linux desktop contract in FranceTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
7:45 AM EDT
Unfortunately they went with the wrong Linux distro. Think about the rip off royalty payments that Novell has to pay to MS according to their agreement.
jimf

Jan 31, 2007
7:48 AM EDT
Hey, they'll be getting Linux no matter how else you feel about the deal. Would you rather they just went with MS?
DarrenR114

Jan 31, 2007
8:33 AM EDT
What royalty payments to MS? Do you know for certain that the MS-Novell deal will trigger royalty payments to MS for this sale? If so, what section and clause are you referring to? Or are you just making this statement based on all the rumor and innuendo from people who don't know the specifics of the MS-Novell deal?
dinotrac

Jan 31, 2007
9:04 AM EDT
>Unfortunately they went with the wrong Linux distro. Think about the rip off royalty payments that Novell has to pay to MS according to their agreement.

Yawn. Microsoft paid Novell, not the other way around. Some gymnastics in the paperwork to make it look different, but that's about it.

Moving to Linux is better than moving to any kind of Windows.

If nothing else, a Novell->Red Hat move is cake compared to moving there from Windows.

You're just upset because the Novell guys might have been right about their deal overcoming some clients' trepidation.
jsusanka

Jan 31, 2007
9:39 AM EDT
since we can't look at the agreements - I believe that microsoft gets a percentage for every suse support agreement sold. I assume they bought support from novell here so I then I would assume that microsoft got their cut of the deal.

this deal was still not needed and I still just shake my head.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2007
9:49 AM EDT
> Unfortunately they went with the wrong Linux distro.

From our viewpoint, yes. From theirs, probably not.

First, you have to realize that the only two distributions with the support level most large customers want are Red Hat and SuSE (the fact that most of these organizations already have an IT department and could easily support any distribution they chose with in house talent seems to be completely lost on them).

Given the Red Hat/SuSE choice; the Windows tie-ins and no lawsuit promise could be extremely powerful arguments in favor of SuSE over Red Hat, as could price.
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
Quoting:What royalty payments to MS?
From what we know, Novell is/will be paying MS about $40 millions. What is that money being paid for????
Quoting:Do you know for certain that the MS-Novell deal will trigger royalty payments to MS for this sale? If so, what section and clause are you referring to?
No body other than MS & Novell know for certain because the agreement was not disclosed. But we know there was money exchange. Again, what was the $40 Million Novell payment to MS for???
Quoting:Or are you just making this statement based on all the rumor and innuendo from people who don't know the specifics of the MS-Novell deal?
No rumors. figures that were released by both MS & Novell. One doesn't have to be a genius to figure thing out.
Quoting:Yawn. Microsoft paid Novell, not the other way around. Some gymnastics in the paperwork to make it look different, but that's about it.
Not totally true, there were money paid both ways. $40 Mil for what? Suse licenses, give me a break!
Quoting:You're just upset because the Novell guys might have been right about their deal overcoming some clients' trepidation.
Not really, I am happy about one part of the agreement, it proves that Linux is a contender and MS is forcibly starting to accept it. What I don't like about it is the patent covenant, which is totally unnecessary and Novell or its customers don't need. Novell agreed to that which gave some legitimacy to MS claims.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
MS is paying Novell a single lump sum of money by buying a big pile of support contracts that MS can hand out as tickets to their costomers that run a mixed Windows/Suse enviroment. Novell pays MS a small amount for each Suse (not OpenSuse) install/contract. Unless Novell will suddently reach 10%+ market share in the OS market, more money will be flowing from MS to Novell than the other way around. Check the groklaw article about the initial deal (and it's comments).
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Novell pays MS a small amount for each Suse (not OpenSuse) install/contract.
That is exactly my point. Why the heck does Novell have to pay MS any amount for software that neither of them own???
dcparris

Jan 31, 2007
3:12 PM EDT
It's not that it was necessary. They just felt it would put their customers more at ease. It's really that simple. I agree that it's unnecessary - I oppose the move myself. I agree that it violates the spirit of the GPL. Still, even I would rather see a migration to Novell's distro than Windows. I would be even more thrilled if they just chose Debian or something.
Abe

Jan 31, 2007
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting:Still, even I would rather see a migration to Novell's distro than Windows.
come on now, of course, we all do. Peugeot Citroen must have had the decision made already way in advance. They know what they are leaving behind and gaining by going with Linux. This is not a little decision that such a company would make over night. Most importantly, they weren't going to change their mind to go with Windows even if the MS-Novell agreement didn't materialize.
jimf

Jan 31, 2007
6:19 PM EDT
> I would be even more thrilled if they just chose Debian or something.

Well, Duh! :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!