Shows the ugly side

Story: Bill Gates ignores Gorbachev's plea for leniencyTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
DarrenR114

Feb 09, 2007
5:02 AM EDT
Here we get a candid glimpse at the true depth of Bill Gates' philanthropic 5%.
dcparris

Feb 09, 2007
10:08 AM EDT
Just imagine, a single phone call would probably encourage the prosecutor to drop the charges. I do hope the courts will be lenient. Sheesh! One more reason why friends don't let friends use Windows.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 09, 2007
11:23 AM EDT
Someone find out who the offender is and mail him a Linux live CD.

Indeed, it is absurd, but it is the absurdity that points out the inherent failure of trying to perpetuate the proprietary software model.

Microsoft _must_ prosecute. Gates _must_ support any and all such prosecutions, or else they sets a precedent that may be used against them in the future.

Once something is a commodity, the only rational course of action is to let it go and find something new to make money with until it, too, is commoditized by the inexorable march of capitalism and human innovation.

tuxchick

Feb 09, 2007
11:38 AM EDT
Since when did copyright infringement rate a prison sentence, anyway? That's about the only thing Mafiasoft has innovated. Traditionally it's been a civil offense, resolved by proving actual damages and making a financial settlement. Excuse me Editor Don, but this is well beyond asshole and well into sociopath. I can't find strong enough words to condemn this. Gates should go to jail on the general grounds of being a waste of space and an irredeemably horrible person.

Even worse is the teacher bought PCs with Windows preinstalled. How was he to know it was bogus, and how can they justify prosecuting him?
tracyanne

Feb 09, 2007
11:43 AM EDT
I think it is not only right that Bill Gates refused to attempt to influence the Russian Legal process, but I think Bill should be using his influence by calling for more countries to implement laws that out law piracy. And where there are no specific laws related to Software piracy, Microsoft should be investigating how they can use existing laws to prosecute software Pirates. I think the world needs to understand that using Microsoft software, whether legally or illegally is a very costly business.
jimf

Feb 09, 2007
12:46 PM EDT
> Gates should go to jail on the general grounds of being a waste of space and an irredeemably horrible person.

Oh cool, I know someone with a cattle prod that would most likely love to herd him into his unheated cell ;-)...
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
Yesss, you doooo....and I can borrow extra prods for my friends who want to help!
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
tracyanne, I would agree if it weren't for all the innocent people that get hurt. It's one thing to be a financial victim of Microsoft, but I wouldn't wish criminal prosecution on anyone. Existing copyright laws are fine n dandy; it's megalomania, greed, and inability to deliver a good product that drives Mafiasoft and the MAFIAA to go crazy. I seriously believe it's mental illness that makes then act so crazy. Even more shameful is the lack of willingness by the US and other governments to grow spines and protect their citizens from these robber barons.
DarrenR114

Feb 09, 2007
2:22 PM EDT
tracyanne,

while I agree with your sentiment, I must disagree with the way you expressed it.

Copyright infringement != piracy Patent infringement != piracy

TC - normally copyright infringement should be a civil offense. But there are instances of copyright infringement that are downright criminal (mass producing bootleg CDs and DVDs for instance.)

The law in Russia is obviously intended to prevent people from using ignorance as an excuse to skirt the law. In this case, applying the letter of the law would result in a severe injustice.
tracyanne

Feb 09, 2007
10:17 PM EDT
quote:: Copyright infringement != piracy Patent infringement != piracy ::quote

Yes I am aware of that. My point is that if Microsoft is going play the heavy, we should take advantage of it. People will get hurt in this sort of situation whether we do anything to actively help or not, And I see nothing wrong with helping to make the contrast more obvious.
dcparris

Feb 10, 2007
4:32 AM EDT
I think someone's been paying attention to the Iraqi insurgency. ;-) Basically, it's classic guerrilla tactics - force the big evil empire to overplay its hand. I just have a hard time bringing myself to rat out people like that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!