Need help with latest install of Ichthux

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
jcmoffitt

Feb 13, 2007
5:28 AM EDT
Good morning

I am relatively new to Linux having gotten back into the swing of things with the latest release of Ichthux. A friend of mine told me about it so I started playing around with Knoppix as well as Ichthux. Years ago I played around with Red Hat distributions but that was YEARS ago and I have forgotten more than I learned way back when. I finally got Ichthux 6.10 installed on my Toshiba laptop in a dual boot configuration with XP Pro SP2. Now that it is installed I can not logon. I use the same user id and password that I used during the setup phase. I can log on under single user mode and use that same user id and password and it works. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks
jdixon

Feb 13, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
Well, Google indicates that Ichtux is based on Kubuntu, which is based on Ubuntu. The id and password you used during the setup are probably for root, and root logins are disabled in Ubuntu. Did you create a user account during the setup? If so, use it. If not, then you need to do so.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 13, 2007
5:53 AM EDT
A great place to start is http://www.linuxquestions.org

It is the largest Linux forum website on the planet and you can do searches on the forums contents so you can find out of someone has already had the same issue as you without waiting for someone to answer your post. If you do not find the answer that way then post a question to the forum that is the most relevant to the issue.

Hope it helped.

Scott
jcmoffitt

Feb 13, 2007
7:35 AM EDT
Thanks for the prompt responses folks. I will go to the Linux website you mentioned Scott and see if I can search for my problem there. Jdixon, I did set up a user id and password during the install phase last night but it wont let me log on. However at the logon screen there is a selection to log on as different types of users and one of them I think is called "single user" which dumps you to a command prompt. When you are there I can use my "james" user id and password without a problem. Any thoughts?
bigg

Feb 13, 2007
7:44 AM EDT
I don't know much about ichthux, but I know that in Ubuntu you only setup a user account name and password. When you boot the first time you use that name and password. I think going to Scott's link is your best bet, because this is probably specific to ichthux.
Abe

Feb 13, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
Quoting:When you are there I can use my "james" user id and password without a problem. Any thoughts?
I think the problem you are having is with the GUI. Login as single use and delete/move everything in the home directory of "james" then try logging in via GUI again. Hope this helps.
jcmoffitt

Feb 13, 2007
12:47 PM EDT
I can logon to the console and this is what I see. james@james-laptop:~$ when I do an ls for list I see a directory called Examples That is all that is there... Where is the HOME directory located from there and what command do I use? Thanks

jdixon

Feb 13, 2007
1:45 PM EDT
> Where is the HOME directory located from there and what command do I use?

The home directory should be the directory above the james directory. Use the command "cd .." to move to it, or "cd /home". Without the quotes, of course. However, what he means is to delete everything in the james directory. In this case though, before deleing anything I would ask for help on the Ichthux forums, as I see you've already done. :)

If the single user login is working with your username, then the account is OK, so there must be something wrong in the graphical login process, and I have no idea what it could be, since it should be the standard kdm login process. Are you getting any specific error messages when the login fails?

Oh, and you're not the only one with this problem, though no solutions have been posted yet. See http://www.ichthux.com/en/node/84 for the details.
bigg

Feb 13, 2007
2:06 PM EDT
Just curious, is there a reason you are interested in Ichthux vs. Ubuntu or Mepis or PCLinuxOS? I think those distros might be better for someone "relatively new" to Linux. At the least, they should not give you trouble with logging in, which is something a new Linux user should never have to mess with.

It sounds like you are going to waste a lot of time doing something not very helpful and after a couple of days you will give up on Linux.
Abe

Feb 13, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
The reason I suggested the solution is because I encountered the same with Kubuntu. The way I resolved it is by renaming/moving/deleting (Sorry I listed delete first in my previous post while moving [mv] should work just as good).

If you are not finding 'james' home directory, it is probably because it might be on another partition that is not mounted. do df command to check and use mount if it is not. Good luck
jdixon

Feb 13, 2007
6:45 PM EDT
Abe:

> I encountered the same with Kubuntu. The way I resolved it is by renaming/moving/deleting...

Hmm. That would indicate something corrupted in the user directory. The most likely bet would be a bad .kde directory or possibly a bad .xinitrc file. But those won't be touched if he simply does an rm or mv *, so I'm lost. It shouldn't hurt anything to try it though, so he should give it a shot.

If that fails, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/add-a-user-on-ubuntu-s... covers how to add a new user from the command line. The next thing I'd try is adding a new user and then seeing if he can login using that account. If so, we know there's something wrong with the account created during setup. Once he's logged in, he can delete and recreate it the defective account if he wants.
Abe

Feb 13, 2007
7:11 PM EDT
In my case, it was the .kde, when you mv/rm everything from the home directory, KDE will create a new .kde when it doesn't find one. I doubt it was the .xinitrc.
jdixon

Feb 14, 2007
3:02 AM EDT
Abe:

I thought a mv * didn't touch the . files, and that you had to mv .* to move them. Unfortunately, the man page isn't informative on the matter, and I don't have time to test this morning.

However, if it's a corrupted .kde directory then a simple "mv .kde oldkde" should fix the problem. I've seen bad .kde directories cause problems before, so that could very well be it.

jcmoffitt, please try the above command and see if it works. As Abe noted, a new .kde directory will be created when kde starts, so it won't hurt anything, and you can move the old one back if need be.
dcparris

Feb 14, 2007
10:01 AM EDT
I did not experience any problems with Ichthux. It is basically just Kubuntu. I suspect James is interested in Ichthux as a targeted distro. Ichthux.com might be the best starting point. There are also two e-mail lists that could be useful as well:

Linux 4 Christians: http://www.thelinuxlink.net/mailman/listinfo/linux4christian...

CS-FSLUG: http://cs.uninetsolutions.com/

osministry.com is another related webforum, but I'm not sure how much experience they have with Ichthux over there.

I hope these will prove useful. Some of the Ichthux team are members of one or both e-mail lists above.
Abe

Feb 14, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
Jdisxon, You are right about mv will not be moving .* files. The idea is, like you said, is to start a new clean user home directory with nothing it. Sorry I wasn't explicit about it. I assumed it was clear.

If James decides to move the user home directory then create a new one, he needs to make sure the user has owner permission of the new directory. this is how I would go about it

login as single user go to home directory using cd home-path move user home directory mv james james-prev mkdir james chown james james

reboot then login again
jdixon

Feb 14, 2007
11:37 AM EDT
> this is how I would go about it

Yes, AFAIK, that should work, and if it is a corrupted profile, it should fix his problem. However, I'd try moving the .kde directory first, since that's likely to be the culprit.
jimf

Feb 14, 2007
12:00 PM EDT
Strange... I've never seen this problem with KDE on Debian, but, I've now seen the same problem reported 3-4 times with Kbuntu varients. I can't help but wonder what's going on?
Abe

Feb 14, 2007
12:50 PM EDT
Quoting:I can't help but wonder what's going on?
In my case, I always have home as a separate partition. When I installed a new release using the same home partition, I think it was PCLinxOS replaced by Kubuntu, I wasn't able to login. When I realized it had something to do with KDE and did what I described previously, everything worked properly.

I didn't pursue it to find out exactly what it was causing it, but it must have been .kde incompatibility since it was a different version than what was there previously; or it could have been different group/owner ID of the account that was the same in both.
jimf

Feb 14, 2007
1:16 PM EDT
Oh, no doubt that it's .kde that gets corrupted. What you're saying makes sense. I've just not personally seen that, even when I've virtually copied the .kde to a new install. Of course I make sure the permissions for the folder are appropriate to the user.

You cannot post until you login.