The Roman Rule

Story: Linux Users...Do You Know Where You Are?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
beirwin

Feb 20, 2007
3:35 PM EDT
Those who castigate members of the Linux community who take on the role of Linux advocates should remember the Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.
dcparris

Feb 20, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
Tell it! If you ain't gonna contribute financially, give _something_ back, or shut up.

Helios, if you're reading, I think I'm caught up now on my buck-a-month. :-)
helios

Feb 21, 2007
3:45 AM EDT
DC, you were LONG ago caught up on your buckamonth...is LXer going to display the logo? Back atcha big-un...

Ken
jdixon

Feb 21, 2007
5:41 AM EDT
Ken:

I should note in passing that I'm not ignoring your buck-a-month campaign, but I work better in $15/year campaign mode.
dinotrac

Feb 21, 2007
7:59 AM EDT
Ken -

Sorry it took me so long, but I am now paid for the next year.

Cheers.
helios

Feb 21, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
bless your hearts...it will go to good use. In fact, just now buttoning up a case for Komputers4Kids. Arggggg, IDE controllers, gotta love 'em.

jdixon

Feb 21, 2007
4:42 PM EDT
helios:

If you ever decide to make another trip to DC, let me know before you go and I'll arrange to have a small carload of computer parts you can pick up on your way back. :)
helios

Feb 22, 2007
2:33 PM EDT
JD...Thank you. Looks like I might be making the trip to represent Linux in a kinda-sorta-maybe trip to Capitol Hill this July. Its just in the talking-about-it stage now. Depends on what the current politics are. Remember, things seemed quiet when they slipped the DMCA by us at 230 am. Bastards.

h
jdixon

Feb 22, 2007
2:40 PM EDT
helios:

I've got two old IBM desktops with Celeron 300's, a couple of old motherboards, maybe a video card or two, et.al. Mostly junk by modern standards, but I have no idea what of it you might find useful, so it's yours if you want it. Shipping it down to Texas would cost more than it's worth. :( So just let me know before you go and I'll try to make arrangements to get it to you. I'll even buy you dinner if we can get together in the Morgantown area or nearby. I'll try to make up a list of all the excess stuff we've got and send it to you in email so you can tell me if any of it's useful or not.
helios

Feb 22, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
"...I'll even buy you dinner if we can get together in the Morgantown area or nearby."

Heck, a free meal AND computer parts? I'll be there in 22 hours.

LOL, thanks. I will take you up on the offer and rest assured if I am that close I will make it a point to stop by. As well, I need to make another trip to Walter Reed when I am there. I got to visit my guys or the trip is wasted. Besides...I donated my brand new laptop to the amputee ward on a spur of the moment decision while I was there last. I want to see if they are still checking it out to the soldiers and if HP made good on their promise to donate another 5.

h
jdixon

Feb 23, 2007
11:12 AM EDT
> As well, I need to make another trip to Walter Reed when I am there.

Stop by and see their chapel while your there. It's where my wife and I were married.
dinotrac

Feb 23, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
> As well, I need to make another trip to Walter Reed when I am there.

Walter Reed is a special place with a proud history.

My mother volunteered there while I was in middle-school and my first year of high school.

We had many of the guys from the orthopedic wards over to the house for parties in the basement, along with local celebrities including members of the Washington Senators, among them a starter for the Presidential opener who got his ankle bitten by our Daschund while staying clear of the German Shepherd.

I wheeled many a guy around and abouts. Among my favorite non-personal memories:

1. Calvin "Hound Dog" Ruffin, bandleader at the International Inn, used to come to some of our parties to play piano for the boys. Once he even brought his band. Well, one night, he stopped the proceedings and told everybody to be quiet for a moment. Then he handed me a copy of Leon Uris's "Topaz", just off the presses, to read a paragraph describing Calvin at the keys in the International Inn. Very cool.

2. One time, Johnny Carson brought the entire Tonight Show crew, complete with Ed McMahon, Doc Severinson and the band, et al to do a show for the boys. He did a bit about the jokes he would do on his last show -- jokes that would guarantee it was his last show whether he planned it that way or not -- that just about killed us all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!