One more stupid review

Story: Ubuntu spurns Microsoft's advancesTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
nikkels

Feb 20, 2007
9:15 PM EDT
The author ( read: basher ) seems to think that there is only one distro out there , as he talks about Ubuntu only and then concluded that Linux is not ready.

Its the very same as saying , I had problems with my Peugot, so I will never buy a car made in Europe , as those are obviously not ready for prime time

Secondly, my Brother in Law has vista installed , but can't make it communicate with winXP. Only after a Cisco engineer came by , it worked So, therefore , MS products should be shelved for another 10 years as they don't work for Joe Public

What a stupid article, but then, you know "where" you read it
jdixon

Feb 21, 2007
2:42 AM EDT
> ...has vista installed , but can't make it communicate with winXP.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I recently installed a new Vista machine for one of my users at his home. He was upgrading from Windows 98, as the latest Turbo Tax won't install on 98.

I brought my old Linksys router with me to set up a local network and connected both machines to it. Both machines got their IP addresses with no problem, but neither could ping the other. I assume there was something about Vista's firewall that kept them from talking, but this was Friday night, and I wasn't going to keep him up all night figuring out what was wrong. I had brought a USB drive, but of course the 98 driver didn't work. So, it was back to old reliable floppies for transferring the old files over. :( Fortunately, I had recommended he get it with a floppy, just in case, and he only had about 6MB of data to move.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!