Thank you for clearing this up...I'll also add...

Story: Carmony Says Raymond Mail Not Tied to LinspireTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Kevin_Carmony

Feb 24, 2007
8:00 AM EDT
Thank you for sharing this and trying to clear this up.

I'd like to add that Linspire has a great relationship with Fedora. We HAVE been working with them on bringing our CNR technology to Fedora users (via an optional plugin). Fedora has been nothing but very good to work with us. The main reason you saw the Ubuntu deal before Fedora is simply supporting an RPM-based distribution, such as Fedora and openSUSE, will take us just a bit longer than the Debian-based Ubuntu, because historically CNR has been Debian centric with Linspire and Freespire.

Linspire looks forward to helping forge MORE work between all Linux companies. The real challenge here is the monopoly of the mind Microsoft holds over desktop users. By working together, we stand the best chance of succeeding in breaking through that wall.

Thanks,

Kevin Carmony CEO, Linspire
dcparris

Feb 24, 2007
8:53 AM EDT
No problem Kevin. I know all too well what can happen when people assume more than they should. I'm subject to that myself sometimes. ;-) My personal assumption was that ESR felt he needed a way to break ties with Fedora, more so than trying to please or help Linspire/Ubuntu. I actually don't think the Fedora devs thought of Linspire as inciting ESR, but rather ESR making changes according to his values, which align well with Linspire's.

Also, it's good to hear that you're working to introduce CNR to Fedora and other distros. Sounds cool.
schestowitz

Feb 24, 2007
6:02 PM EDT
Any unification in packaging is a step forward for that matter. Let's just not concede choice, not only in terms of packaging options; also the choice to avoid proprietary software and binary drivers.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!