Payroll Hardware, Services & Linux?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dcparris

Feb 26, 2007
1:54 PM EDT
I just saved a nursing home from having to re-enter tons of data in PeachTree Accounting for an audit today - my first Windows-based support in ages. There is a potential for migrating them to GNU/Linux, and most of the conversion will be relatively easy. They currently have two very capable HP boxes and two HP printers (one deskjet and one PSC).

There is one hitch that I am aware of already. They use a timecard system (hardware) that connects into their Windows system and is processed by an external payroll processing vendor, namely Automated Data Processing. I'm curious if anyone has experience or recommendations on similar services with Linux integration/support?

I would also be curious about migrating Peachtree data into some GNU/Linux-based accounting package.
alc

Feb 26, 2007
3:25 PM EDT
ken did an interview with a company last year that might have what you're looking for.I forget the name but maybe Ken will buzz in with the info.
majones

Mar 08, 2007
7:58 AM EDT
Appgen is the system in question, but it lacks the ADP integration. Not that it would be difficult to develop if there were an Appgen developer who wanted to undertake the project. I'm sure the Appgen people would be willing to provide some level of support and dev tools to the project.
DarrenR114

Mar 08, 2007
8:34 AM EDT
DC - I've worked with timeclocks and Linux before, and there are lot of variables to consider. The first question is how does the timeclock hardware interface with the PC? Serial Port, Parallel Port, proprietary dongle?

And not to be contrary to majones, but stay away from Appgen - very shady business operation. And there is nothing unique about their Multivalue/PICK BASIC database now that PostgreSQL supports array datatypes.

Edited: Actually, the first question should be: What's the make & model of the timeclock? Kronos is a fairly common one that will interface with UNIX systems as well as MS-Windows.
dcparris

Mar 08, 2007
5:21 PM EDT
Darren - I'll look into the time clock. I saw a dongle connecting the box next to the desk (some kind of terminal?) to the PC. I do know I spoke with a local ADP rep, who explained that their system does not interface with Linux. I'm following up on this now to find out if ADP is open to Linux integration. I've been in touch with a few different folks about the issue, and it turns out that ADP is a major player in the payroll processing arena.

I'm guessing it might be possible to connect the timeclock to the Linux system, but I wonder if the ADP box is an intermediate device. Iow, this place doesn't do its own payroll at all. They apparently just transmit the data to ADP, who processes it. However, I am not sure just how that works. I'll see if I can pay another visit to the nursing home. Meanwhile, look for another potential story.

You cannot post until you login.