Windows Style

Story: Get a virtual Richard StallmanTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jimf

Feb 27, 2007
2:48 PM EDT
I immediately had a vision of a MS type helper like 'clippy' (but a small scruffy figure of RMS) Of course he'll pop up every time you try to open anything that RMS would think 'non free' with a finger wagging and a message like "no, no, no!, mustn't use that evil thing!" followed by a page of further diatribe.

Someone 'just has to' do this app. It will make all the new users, fresh from Windows, feel right at home :D
dumper4311

Feb 27, 2007
4:41 PM EDT
Funny you should mention "Windows Style." Maybe they should change the name of this utility to SGA - "Stallman Genuine Advantage"

Maybe I should change my user name to "Flamebait."

Put away your torches and pitchforks, people. I know there are plenty of people out there who are genuinely interested in the info this utility provides (myself included). I also know that this utility won't remove this "evil" code or punish users for "violations." But don't make the mistake of thinking for a minute that the FSF wouldn't do that if they thought they could get away with it. That's what many of the proposed changes in the GPLv3 are all about.

It's interesting to watch RMS and the FSF grow more draconian in their methods, and continue to isolate themselves from mainstream OSS users and businesses. It's also more than a little amusing to watch them adopt the same methods as their proprietary cousins, and try to force into a licence the same type of restrictions championed by the DMCA and DRM abusers.

Everybody stay calm, and breathe deeply. It's an old arguement, just something to think about.
bigg

Feb 27, 2007
8:19 PM EDT
I ran the utility and only got Sun Java as a violation, not too bad, since even that will be GPL. I was listening to realplayer at the same time I was running vrms, so it's evidently not perfect.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!