Well phrased

Story: I Want To Dual Boot Debian and XP - The Debian ChroniclesTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
mjjohansen

Mar 01, 2007
10:07 PM EDT
It may just be a typo, but the author introduces the expression "duel booting". This is a Good Expression - I'll be using that.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 02, 2007
5:43 AM EDT
I didn't create it but its yours to use.. :-)
vorbote

Mar 03, 2007
3:38 PM EDT
Wieeeelllll. I've read that "duel boot" thing in too many places already and makes me cringe most of the time, but I find it a nice literary device in your article, considering the theme and all.

I have a question. If you are duel booting Windows and GNU/Linux, will that be sabers, swords or pistols at thirty paces?
swbrown

Mar 03, 2007
4:30 PM EDT
> I have a question. If you are duel booting Windows and GNU/Linux, will that be sabers, swords or pistols at thirty paces?

Don't bring a knife to a MBR overwriting fight.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 03, 2007
11:21 PM EDT
The only reason I kept the XP install is because I have to admin it at work so I figured I should have it to mess with.

I'll take the pistols...
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2007
5:36 AM EDT
"Duel boot" is only funny if it's deliberate.

It is depressing to see mistakes like "decimate" used instead of "devastate", in National Geographic of all places.

I've got $.25 that says the vast majority of "duel boot" are posted only because the spell checker didn't flag it as wrong.

Scott_Ruecker

Mar 04, 2007
7:09 AM EDT
OK, so now I think I know what is going on here..Duel Boot is not proper English but i used it in a semi-proper way?

techiem2

Mar 04, 2007
8:00 AM EDT
duel = fight dual = two

:)

Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
Duel = two people agreeing to fight.

Dual = two separate things together.

Even with the "two antagonistic operating systems" connotation of "duel boot", it doesn't really work, because the two actually work together just fine (ok, Linux works just fine with Windows, rarely the other way around).

But yes, it's basically people coining a phrase, like "co-educational" slowly became "coed."
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 04, 2007
8:42 AM EDT
This is what I get for falling asleep in English classes huh?

Now I feel like a dolt!

LOL
jimf

Mar 04, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
> Duel = two people agreeing to fight.

Actually, that sounds about right. When Installed that way, Linux almost always always wins out.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 04, 2007
10:56 AM EDT
Quoting:When Installed that way, Linux almost always always wins out.

You are right about that!

It is to get my Windows chops back that I chose to keep it, that and I am installing software from work on it to test, poke with a stick and kick around.

All the software I am learning and administrating at work is industry specific propitiatory software that only runs on Windows. There are several programs that I know I could get Unix versions of but they are $10,000 and $16,000 per license just for the Windows version. Also the software companies only offer the Windows versions. They would make us pay extra, if not just say they can't do it. Which is the answer I have been getting so far.

The only place I can see me being able to integrate Open Source Software right now is in the database programs and back-ends. I am still kinda new and I want to wait, learn and get a little seniority before I make any recommendations or changes.

Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
"The only place I can see me being able to integrate Open Source Software right now is in the database programs and back-ends."

First thing is to turn your DBAs on to Postgres and MySQL, Apache, FireFox, stuff like that.

No need to push the Penguin right away. Just suggest that the money spent learning the free database would be less than buying 5 paid database licenses. Those programs all run just fine on Windows, and it's a nearly painless introduction to "quality" over "price".

I know what you mean about the applications vendors. That I think is the biggest barrier to serious Linux adoption, the fact that vendors aren't offering their products on Linux. I cannot imagine why, since Linux represents a far more stable development platform than Windows. Just how much did XP-SP2 _cost_ in terms of rewriting and recertifying every single application in the world? Golly!

Mind-share. People _believe_ they need Microsoft, and therefore they do.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!