Jeremiah got it right

Story: Open letter to Mark ShuttleworthTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Libervis

Mar 06, 2007
4:35 PM EDT
I fully support Jeremiah's suggestion. As I've been saying before, this is really the key, pre-installing GNU/Linux. We can and do hope for Dell to step up with this, but having Canonical, such a high profile company in the FOSS world right now, do this (and especially considering the kind of capital that there is behind it), it could really fly.

The thing is that I'm beginning to think putting in proprietary components into the distro wont work no matter where you're coming from. It wont work from an ideological point of view and it really might not work from the practical open source point of view either. Can we really be sure these proprietary components and drivers will make a much larger amount of people start flocking in?

I'm not too confident. The real numbers will be in pre-installed GNU/Linux desktops which people will be able to buy in various high profile places. Canonical seems like a company which could pull enough partnerships and connections to make this happen, and it has obvious good experience in marketing. Also, as Jeremiah suggests, it has a support infrastructure in place.

So make PCs with hardware supported by free drivers and software, and put Ubuntu (without proprietary components, since on that machine they may not be necessary) on it.

Hmm somewhere I said you'll be hearing more about this. I suspect this open letter nor my upcoming article wont be the only ones advocating this strategy. The time has really come for us to make our strides with pre-installed desktops and laptops. It's ripe!

Thanks
Libervis

Mar 06, 2007
5:23 PM EDT
Btw, if anyone cares as much as I do about this call; consider digging it: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dear_Mr_Shuttleworth_Get_into_the... :)

Thanks

Edit: Admins, LXer is putting in spaces in links again. :(
jimf

Mar 06, 2007
6:25 PM EDT
Can we really be sure these proprietary components and drivers will make a much larger amount of people start flocking in?

Probably not. The truth is that anyone with half a brain and an iota of technical skill is already running Linux, or at least looking to do so. The ones with half a brain and no technical skill are doing the same with Mac. That leaves only those so hooked on the MS consumer hype and propaganda that it will take more than drivers and software free or otherwise to convert them to Linux. Really good 3D drivers, and better games 'may' bring in a trickle, but, those in the last group are obviously willing to put up with whatever abuse MS heaps on them, and until that changes (or MS closes its doors), I don't see any 'flocking'. I also don't see the hardcore MS addicts have any ethical concern over the issue of free software or user rights. It's a non issue to them.

dinotrac

Mar 07, 2007
4:26 AM EDT
>That leaves only those so hooked on the MS consumer hype and propaganda that it will take more than drivers and software free or otherwise to convert them to Linux.

I don't know many people like that, and I know an awful lot of Windows users.

Most of them use Windows because it is what came on their computer. The real problem for them will come when they set out to do the things they want to do, like install Goldmine of Quickbooks.
Libervis

Mar 07, 2007
4:46 AM EDT
Yeah, but if they would be able to easily buy a GNU/Linux PC in the first place, and then many do so, there will be enough market for quickbooks or whoever to consider a full GNU/Linux port, maybe even consider freeing the code (since that's what always brings reputation points within the GNU/Linux market).

In any case, I think proprietary taintation doesn't have to be the first thing we do to get users. We just need to make computers which run GNU/Linux smoothly, pre-install it on them and sell them in high profile places where people who don't think about OSs can find and buy them.
dinotrac

Mar 07, 2007
5:14 AM EDT
>In any case, I think proprietary taintation doesn't have to be the first thing we do to get users.

No, but we do need to make sure they can easily understand and apply whatever "tainted" software/drivers they believe that they need, which is an important difference. Presuming that everybody needs all of it pollutes the issue, and makes it difficult to prioritize efforts at free replacements and/or alternatives.
bigg

Mar 07, 2007
6:40 AM EDT
You guys are still thinking of the OS as an either/or proposition. I'm a little more optimistic.

As virtualization software improves, it will no longer be necessary to "choose" your OS. From what I've seen, the most important thing about migrating from one OS to another is that you be able to do it gradually. Predicting the evolution of virtualization options into the future three years, it will be possible to have Quickbooks running on a Mepis desktop like a native app.
swbrown

Mar 07, 2007
7:17 AM EDT
> As virtualization software improves, it will no longer be necessary to "choose" your OS.

I think Microsoft realizes this (that we're headed towards a world where we could alt+tab between Windows and Linux), and is why we'll likely see them make a serious play for special status re virtualization from the processor companies. Their first attempt is to just ban several features specific to desktop-oriented use under virtualization via the EULA.
Abe

Mar 07, 2007
7:21 AM EDT
When Novell bought Suse, I posted on LinuxToday (When I was still visiting) and LXer same request but instead asking Novel to get into the PC hardware business. This is the only way the chicken and the egg cycle can be broken. Canonical could be a better company now than Novel to do that and for various reasons. K/Ubuntu popularity and being the top distro, Novel-MS agreement that could be a hinderance, and the financial trouble Novell is currently in.

If Dell, who virtually has NO R&D at all can have a big market, Canonical shouldn't have a problem. They have the money, they have the development process and resources, the have the support organization, the PC components are off the self now adays, the is nothing stopping them other than the will to venture into this area. I think Linspire started doing that at one time and I am not sure what happened with them. I guess what makes a difference would be Linspire is not K/Ubuntu.
bigg

Mar 07, 2007
7:49 AM EDT
> Their first attempt is to just ban several features specific to desktop-oriented use under virtualization via the EULA.

And I anticipate a lawsuit over that - what is their justification other than wanting to make life more difficult for users moving to Linux or the Mac?

> I guess what makes a difference would be Linspire is not K/Ubuntu.

Yes. I've never met a Windows user that could handle Linspire.
Libervis

Mar 07, 2007
3:44 PM EDT
>>In any case, I think proprietary taintation doesn't have to be the first thing we do to get users.

> No, but we do need to make sure they can easily understand and apply whatever "tainted" software/drivers they believe that they need, which is an important difference.

To understand its legal and ethical limitations, yes absolutely, so they can then make a really informed decision. But we shouldn't be putting these applications and bits in by default. Let those who think they can't do without it install it themselves. It isn't too hard nowadays (if there is a GNU/Linux port of course).

I can make an advice and try to influence people towards a certain decision, but in the end they choose for themselves, and I'm fine with that, as long as we do what we can to informe them. I'm just not fine with pre-installing non-free software *by default* thinking that this will somehow make people flock in (it probably wont actually).

About the virtualization thing, yes, that's also interesting, as well as how the relationship between MS and vmware suddenly got chilled lately (as I read recently). I just wish vmware was Free Software.. but hey there's Xen (I use a VPS host that uses Xen and it's really cool stuff). :)

Bob_Robertson

Mar 07, 2007
5:28 PM EDT
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about "Jeremiah Scudder".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!