Neat

Story: Create a Web-based interface for MySQL databases in a flash with phpMyEditTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
techiem2

Mar 09, 2007
6:37 AM EDT
There's actually the probability I'll need to do this soon, and since I don't really have any experience coding mysql frontends, this could be pretty useful (and a good learning tool). We're looking to move a *cough*access*cough* database over to mysql sometime soon at the college.
tuxtom

Mar 09, 2007
10:34 AM EDT
Finally, CRUD scaffolding for the masses.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2007
11:14 PM EDT
I tried phpMyEdit about a year and a half ago. I don't know how far it's come in that time but back then it was pretty awful. It was pretty inflexible, not really standards-complaint and has all the trouble of source code generators associated with it. I much prefer generalized libraries over generated code.
jimf

Mar 11, 2007
11:56 PM EDT
> Finally, CRUD scaffolding for the masses.

You'd rather have them on Access???

Their are any number of Linux tools to move the tables in an access db to mysql. I think that's definitely a good thing.
DarrenR114

Mar 12, 2007
6:09 AM EDT
@jimf,

And from there, they can use any one of a number of scripts to move the tables from MySQL to PostgreSQL...
jimf

Mar 12, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
@Darren

I'm not saying Postgre wouldn't be better, and, If nothing else, Knoda will import to PostgreSQL directly.
DarrenR114

Mar 12, 2007
8:05 AM EDT
Knoda?? Is that some sort of subversive KDE utility?? ;-)

For those idealogues who are GNOME fanbois (as Dino would spell it) there is the comparable gnome-db.

But I will say that this app is a neat idea - maybe someone will take the trouble to port it to PERL with DBI::DBD (PERL is much more cross-platform cross-engine friendly compared to PHP) ...
jimf

Mar 12, 2007
9:13 AM EDT
> Knoda?? Is that some sort of subversive KDE utility?? ;-)

Kexi is the 'official' kde front end. Knoda is a lot better. It may be QT, I'm really not sure. It uses the libhk- drivers. One for practically anything.

I don't know of a good Gnome based db front end that will do imports and such... Then again, why would one be concerned? I run the KDE desktop, but use all sorts of GTK apps. More choices are better, right?
tuxtom

Mar 12, 2007
11:21 PM EDT
@jimf

Access???? You're putting words in my keyboard.
jimf

Mar 13, 2007
1:26 AM EDT
> You're putting words in my keyboard.

???

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!