Text Editors w/Word Count

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dcparris

Mar 20, 2007
10:24 PM EDT
I have been using Kate a lot lately to write my articles for LXer. It's fine, but lacks the word count feature. With Vim, et. al. I have to know some magical key-combo that I have to look up every time I want to use it. I believe Bluefish has a word count feature. Quanta doesn't. I'm actually considering loading Java and Jedit. I like Jedit, but haven't been using Java apps. Now that Java is libre - or nearly so - I'm not so opposed to using it anymore. Any other recommendations?
Sander_Marechal

Mar 20, 2007
11:28 PM EDT
gedit, the standard gnome text editor, has a word count feature under tools >> document statistics. Bluefish indeed has that too under document >> word count (the statistics appear in the bottom/left statusbar).

Can't you write a quick-n-dirty kate plugin that calls "wc" on the current document?
jimf

Mar 21, 2007
3:58 AM EDT
Gedit is my suggestion too Don, I've been using gedit rather than kate or kwrite for almost as long as I've been using KDE. Nothing wrong with the 'k' editors, but gedit just seems to be better suited to how I like to do it.
dcparris

Mar 21, 2007
5:57 AM EDT
I was considering installing Bluefish, since I kind of like its project management. We'll see.

Sander: I would love to write a plug-in for Kate or Quanta. I tell you what. I'll give it a shot, but if I get hung up, I'll shoot you a private message.
cr

Mar 21, 2007
6:08 AM EDT
> Can't you write a quick-n-dirty kate plugin that calls "wc" on the current document?

Depending on what kind of text you're editing, you might find wc misleading. Some of my 'spare-time maybe-this'll-make-money-someday' activity is fiction writing. I got a nasty surprise when I spent hours shaving the wordcount down to the maximum allowed on a piece with wc, then posted the piece to the hosting site: their word count was higher. Turns out that wc regards two_words connected-by stuff to be single words. Try it for yourself. I ended up hacking my copy of wc to turn all dashes and underbars to spaces on the way in, to get a more prose-oriented count.
dcparris

Mar 21, 2007
7:32 AM EDT
O.k. I found a quick howto for writing Kate plugins. Ouch! I'm not a real hacker. I think I'll just download Bluefish. ;-)
jdixon

Mar 21, 2007
8:35 AM EDT
> With Vim, et. al. I have to know some magical key-combo that I have to look up every time I want to use it.

Try cream: http://cream.sourceforge.net/ It's essentially a gui frontend for vim.
tuxchick

Mar 21, 2007
9:10 AM EDT
don, you can open a terminal window at the bottom of your kate document and run the wc command there. That's what I do. The first time is the most work- you have to type or tab-complete the filename, oh noes! After that it's just up-arrow, enter.
dcparris

Mar 21, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
Thanks, TC. I should have thought of that. Of course, If I was really smart, I would use PuTTY to login from work and write my articles in VIM. That way, I would already know the key-combos. :-)

You cannot post until you login.