dselect

Story: How I Accidentally Un-Installed Synaptic - The Debian ChroniclesTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
cyber_rigger

Mar 22, 2007
9:38 AM EDT
Try dselect to reinstall synaptic.

Type dselect as root with command line.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 22, 2007
11:55 AM EDT
I've used dselect since Debian .92, in fact I used it this morning.

I've tried tasksel, which I dumped because it wouldn't let me choose _which_ desktop to install. I like granularity of control.

I will sometimes run "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" in a relatively stable system, because just "upgrade" will not erase anything. No conflicting packages are erased, and any packages that conflict with the installed packages will be left "unupgraded".

dselect is the same as running "apt-get dist-upgrade", since conflicted packages will in fact be deleted. That is what happened in the original article.

But using both dselect and apt-get, apt prompts and says, "The following packages will be REMOVED, y/n?" first, so there is no excuse, just someone who didn't pay attention.
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
@Bob

Synaptic gives you the same warnings.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 22, 2007
4:31 PM EDT
Quoting:I've tried tasksel, which I dumped because it wouldn't let me choose _which_ desktop to install. I like granularity of control.

tasksel knows about kde-dektop as well, but it's hidden by default. There's a CLI option to make it available, not to mention special Debian Installer ISO's for KDE.
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
Sander, you should (re-)read my article on the Debian installer. I covered how to install KDE during installation.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 22, 2007
5:06 PM EDT
Perhaps I should. I kinda skimmed over it instead of actually reading it after doing ~5 etch installs in <24 hours
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
5:14 PM EDT
I managed to teach my teachers something they didn't know with that article. :-)

/me head swells...
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
5:29 PM EDT
/me gives Don a congratulatory pat on the back, then applies hat pin to release hot air :D
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
5:31 PM EDT
:D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!