Yes, yes, and more yes.

Story: Adobe's Flash developers need to learn from Saudi ArabiaTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dinotrac

Mar 24, 2007
5:29 AM EDT
Funny how this makes me think of Eric Raymond and the Open Source Initiative.

Regulars here know that I have no real problem with ESR or the OSI. I think they did a real service for free software back around the turn of the century (doesn't that make it sound like eons ago). I think many of us (myself included) have a chance to use free software to make a living because they worked hard at making it acceptable for business, but...

I also think they missed the boat in one very important way. The best feature of free software for business (most business, that is) is not the open source. It's the freedom. Freedom lets you run your business as you need to and as you can.

Here's the tie-in back to Roblimo --

There is nothing wrong with Flash incorporating a proprietary codec for those who wish to use it, especially in light of Adobe's recent conversion to Linux parity with the Mac and PC -- though other platforms still suffer. From a business perspective, there is a lot wrong with cutting out small customers who might grow into big ones.

If the VP6 codec really is all that, plenty of well-heeled customers will use it. Those who can't afford it today might afford it tomorrow. The thing is, Adobe's business is Flash, not VP6. They should want people using Flash regardless of codec.

The one argument I can see in Adobe's defense is this: If people start putting out lower quality flash videos, then Flash will get associated with low-quality video.

Easily answered, of course. One need only to see good quality Flash to realize that the problem of low-quality video lies with the video producer and not with Flash. Whatever problems YouTube may have at the moment, ruining the reputation of Flash isn't one of them.

bigg

Mar 24, 2007
7:38 AM EDT
> If people start putting out lower quality flash videos, then Flash will get associated with low-quality video.

I've seen this argument too many times. As you say, the good quality videos will demonstrate what Flash can do. That argument is like saying Microsoft is hurt when low quality Windows software is released. I just don't think people are that dumb. If you're considering using Flash and know that little about it, there's something wrong.
jezuch

Mar 24, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
Even low-quality Flash videos use definitely too much of my CPU (around 50% on AthlonXP 1500+). Higher quality will make it a no-no for me even more ;)
swbrown

Mar 24, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
Once Java is GPLed, we can use Java-based codecs to play whatever format of video ala Fluendo's stuff and won't be tied to what Adobe chooses to support, and what platforms they choose to support. It's about time this happened.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!