Postfix/Mutt/KMail Config

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dcparris

Mar 29, 2007
11:07 PM EDT
I've just successfully setup postfix and dovecot. Thanks to Carla for the "dovecot ain't running" pointer. I now have the ability to : telnet to the smtp server on localhost use Mutt for sending and receiving via IMAP and SMTP on both, localhost and my laptop use KMail to read mail via IMAP and POP3

However, although I can send mail via SMTP from Mutt on my laptop, I cannot seem to get KMail to successfully connect to the SMTP server. Nor can I telnet into it - I get "Relay access denied". However, I have main.cf configured to use:

mynetworks = 127.0.0.1/8 add ,192.168.1.0/24 smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject _unauth_destination

From what I understand, it should recognize the boxes on my own LAN.

The log shows... (On Mutt Connect) postfix/pickup blah blah blah uid=nnn from= postfix/cleanup blah blah blah message-id= postfix/qmgr from=blah size=blah nrcpt=blah (queue active) postfix/smtp relay=isp-smtp-server blah status=sent qmgr removes it.

(On KMail Connect) postfix/smtpd: connect from public IP address postfix/smtpd: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from public IP address: Relay access denied Then it disconnects.

What say ye, wise old owls?
NoDough

Mar 30, 2007
9:03 AM EDT
Don,

Were you using the same to:address from both Mutt and KMail?

Did you use the same from:address in both Mutt and KMail?
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
11:10 AM EDT
Yes, I did. I'm using my gmail account to test with. I also can't get Evolution to connect at all from another box on the LAN. I thought I was in good shape. Obviously I have a looooonnnggg way to go. ;-) Back to the issue at hand, though...

I'll get the relevant log sections a little later on.
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
7:39 PM EDT
I have tried several different account settings in Kmail with no success. Here's the relevant log data:

[Unsuccessful Transmission] Mar 29 21:42:32 luke postfix/smtpd[6744]: connect from cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] Mar 29 21:42:32 luke postfix/smtpd[6744]: disconnect from cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] Mar 29 21:42:32 luke postfix/smtpd[6744]: connect from cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] Mar 29 21:42:33 luke postfix/smtpd[6744]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 554 5.7.1 : Relay access denied; from= to= proto=ESMTP helo= Mar 29 21:42:33 luke postfix/smtpd[6744]: disconnect from cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]

[Successful Transmission via mutt, either on localhost or remote host] Mar 29 21:25:37 luke postfix/pickup[6546]: 7955C1FD5E: uid=1000 from= Mar 29 21:25:37 luke postfix/cleanup[6663]: 7955C1FD5E: message-id= Mar 29 21:25:37 luke postfix/qmgr[6547]: 7955C1FD5E: from=, size=1481, nrcpt=1 (queue active) Mar 29 21:25:38 luke postfix/smtp[6680]: 7955C1FD5E: to=, relay=smtp-server.carolina.rr.com[24.25.4.90]:25, delay=0.8, delays=0.02/0.02/0.12/0.65, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 l2U6J6KX028587 Message accepted for delivery) Mar 29 21:25:38 luke postfix/qmgr[6547]: 7955C1FD5E: removed
jdixon

Mar 30, 2007
9:28 PM EDT
DC, this may be a stupid question, but why is mutt's log saying postfix/pickup when kmail's is saying postfix/smtpd?

It almost looks like mutt is not connecting to port 25, but rather using some other protocol.
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
10:14 PM EDT
Well, your question is my question. I'm assuming that the difference lies in the connection method. You could be right though. I can still send mail out via my RoadRunner account, so I currently use that as the default method for KMail. But I did not set anything in Mutt (Debian Etch). I did not see anything in /etc/Muttrc that points mutt to a specific smtp method. Even so, if mutt were using RR, why bother to connect to the Blue-Gnu server at all?

KMail appears to be trying to connect through RR. Should I delete that reference altogether for now? KMail makes it appear that one can setup 2 (or more) smtp servers, and yet have one active and the others inactive. I did notice that, after trying to use the Blue-Gnu smtp server, messages queued up behind those in KMail won't go out, even though they are being sent via RR's smtp server. Does this mean I need to delete the RR server altogether? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
jdixon

Mar 30, 2007
10:51 PM EDT
DC:

The mutt portion of the log does not even contain an IP address, indicating that postfix is probably picking it up directly from the drive. How mutt is putting it there is beyond me. You should probably check your mutt configuration.

The kmail portion has an IP address, namely cpe-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.carolina.res.rr.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]. This is not a 192.168.1.x, address, so postfix quite correctly reports it as a public IP address and rejects it. Again, why kmail is using your roadrunner address rather than your LAN address is something I can't say.

If it's any consolation, I haven't been able to get sendmail working with meer.net since we got connected with DSL, so I have to use a graphical email client instead of elm. :(
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
11:32 PM EDT
Kmail is a real pita to configure even for a pop before smtp account. That was my first reason for switching to claws which gives you all sorts of settings including ports.
dcparris

Mar 31, 2007
7:34 AM EDT
JDixon: Your analysis makes sense to me. I thought if I told KMail to use the Blue-Gnu server, it would use it instead of the RR server. Sounds like I may as well run through the smtp auth routine, including SASL, etc. Oh boy.

You cannot post until you login.