Ultimate Control

Story: Department of Homeland and Security wants master key for DNSTotal Replies: 38
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 02, 2007
5:37 PM EDT
I think we should hand over the DNS keys, along with our house keys, car keys, bank account numbers, root passwords and anything else the Government requests of us. If we do that then we will definitely be protected, because the government has our best interests at heart and would make sure that nothing bad ever happens to us ever again. I am so glad that there is a whole department dedicated to keeping us safe.

I think that anyone who is against it is in cahoots with terrorists and should be kept under surveillance, investigated and interrogated to discover the secrets they are trying to keep. Anyone who doesn't trust the government doesn't deserve to call themselves an American and should be deported or sent to Guantanamo to rot.

The Federal Government has always protected us so if they want to know when and where and with what hand we wipe ourselves with, then it is our duty to tell them.

tuxchick

Apr 02, 2007
5:39 PM EDT
I have lowered my expectations to hoping for at least a wee bit of lube.
jimf

Apr 02, 2007
6:06 PM EDT
Lol, if there is a master key, sooner or later it will get cracked....
Sander_Marechal

Apr 02, 2007
9:45 PM EDT
If control of the DNS master keys and other critical internet infrastructure is ever handed to the US then people will start to find alternatives. It may take a couple of years but it will happen. The internet is like a living organism: it routes around damaged area's.
jezuch

Apr 03, 2007
3:52 AM EDT
Maybe this is the incentive we need for new-and-improved DNS?
jdixon

Apr 03, 2007
5:32 AM EDT
> I have lowered my expectations to hoping for at least a wee bit of lube.

There you go again TC, being optimistic as always.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 03, 2007
7:22 AM EDT
OK, I am assuming that everyone got the fact that I was being sarcastic?
dcparris

Apr 03, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
Let me guess, Scott. Your sarcasm led to more sarcasm, which led to cynicism about sarcasm?
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 03, 2007
7:36 AM EDT
Quoting:Let me guess, Scott. Your sarcasm led to more sarcasm, which led to cynicism about sarcasm?

Have we met before? Because you hit the nail on the head..

;-)
tuxchick

Apr 03, 2007
7:40 AM EDT
A chasm of sarcasm and we all fell in!
jimf

Apr 03, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
See! I told you guys that she'd say that :P
DarrenR114

Apr 03, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
I thought it was more satire than sarcasm, ala Jonathan Swift.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 03, 2007
8:16 AM EDT
Its nice to see my hard work is appreciated.

:-)
tuxchick

Apr 03, 2007
8:37 AM EDT
What they should do is hand over some old house key that nobody knows what it is for. That'll keep homeloon secuarity happy, and DNS safe.
jimf

Apr 03, 2007
8:49 AM EDT
> some old house key

Fall for that old ploy? now that's downright depressing...
SFN

Apr 03, 2007
10:05 AM EDT
Quoting:Department of Homeland and Security wants master key for DNS
And I want to be the King of Mars, but...........
dcparris

Apr 03, 2007
1:40 PM EDT
You're *not* the King of Mars? Well, I guess that explains why my efforts to communicate with you via my way cool Martian Communicator ring (out of the cereal box) ain't working.

I think the whole thread conveys the general feeling about giving DoHS the keys to anything - sarcastic and cynical.
theboomboomcars

Apr 03, 2007
2:58 PM EDT
Ahh, thats what that kept beeping. Sorry I don't answer when the call is from an earth bound location. Don't want to give to much away.

You did leave a message though, didn't you? I love to hear the messages from earthlings.
tracyanne

Apr 03, 2007
3:35 PM EDT
quote:: Anyone who doesn't trust the government doesn't deserve to call themselves an American :: quote

Ahem. I'm not an American.
herzeleid

Apr 03, 2007
4:06 PM EDT
Quoting: Ahem. I'm not an American.
LOL Canadians always say that...
dcparris

Apr 03, 2007
4:40 PM EDT
She's Australian.
jdixon

Apr 03, 2007
4:45 PM EDT
> Ahem. I'm not an American.

It matters not. All shall bow before Emperor for life George the Second.

Sigh, now if only that didn't have such a ring of truth to it.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 03, 2007
5:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Sigh, now if only that didn't have such a ring of truth to it.

Hypothetical situation: What would happen if there was another attack similar to 9/11 a couple of weeks before the next election? He could postpone the election for "the safety of the voters", then all he has to do is either invoke Martial Law which with the Patriot Act in place would not be hard to do or he can just keep coming up with reasons that it just isn't "safe enough" for the elections to be held until the voting polls are made safe enough. Carl Rove *cough* I mean President Bush could come up with a thousand reasons as to why we just can't have the election right now..its all a matter of keeping us afraid enough to either not care or not notice.

Think I'm crazy? Well I might be but gaining or keeping power is all in the timing.
jdixon

Apr 03, 2007
5:46 PM EDT
> He could postpone the election for "the safety of the voters",

Yes, but not for very long. Neither the Congress, the Supreme Court, nor the people would stand for it. I doubt he could postpone the election for more than a few months without being impeached and removed from office by Congress.
tuxchick

Apr 03, 2007
6:45 PM EDT
jdixon, are you talking about our Congress? The US Congress? The one what in a move of dizzying courage and daring, passed a non-binding resolution that says "war is teh very bad"?

I get the feeling we don't have quite the same perspective.... ;)

jimf

Apr 03, 2007
7:49 PM EDT
> a non-binding resolution

i.e. believe what we say, but, not what we do. Talk about gutless wonders.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 03, 2007
10:05 PM EDT
Scott: That prediction reminded me a lot of "V for Vendetta". Scary.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 03, 2007
11:14 PM EDT
Never saw it,

If our government can fabricate a war for their friends they can figure out a way to "postpone" an election. They want something to happen, why else would you let the head of the CIA tell Congress that we will not be ready for another attack for five years unless you wanted someone to hear it?
jimf

Apr 03, 2007
11:27 PM EDT
> unless you wanted someone to hear it?

What's really scary is that all of the administrations actions have been so openly blatant, especially in the past couple of years. It's pretty obvious that they're gonna do just as they please no matter what the Citizens or anyone else think. Already looks more like a dictatorship than a presidency.
jdixon

Apr 04, 2007
3:26 AM EDT
TC:

> The one what in a move of dizzying courage and daring, passed a non-binding resolution that says "war is teh very bad"?

The one that is now firmly controlled by the Democrats, who expect to win the next election handily. There's no way they will let Bush stay in office a day longer than they can.

> I get the feeling we don't have quite the same perspective.... ;)

Actually it's pretty much the same. I just don't think you taking the party divisions into account.

Jimf:

> Already looks more like a dictatorship than a presidency.

I wish I could disagree. Unfortunately, the Bush administration's understanding of limited government, the Constitution, and division of powers has been rather lacking. I don't really expect Hillary to be any better though.
hkwint

Apr 04, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
Quoting:Carl Rove *cough* I mean President Bush could come up with a thousand reasons as to why we just can't have the election right now..

Interesting. I didn't know Carl Rove was a friend of Putin a.k.a. the upper house speaker of Russia (http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/30/russia.consti...).
Bob_Robertson

Apr 04, 2007
11:28 AM EDT
Sarchasm: n, the unpassable gap between the sarcastic speaker and the listener who just doesn't get it.
CMatters

Apr 04, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
So who has their social security number tattooed on their forehead? RFID?
jdixon

Apr 04, 2007
11:42 AM EDT
> So who has their social security number tattooed on their forehead? RFID?

The SSN won't cut it. It's only 9 digits. It'll have to be have enough digits to cover everyone, preferably without reuse. That's currently at least 11 digits and counting. They could use hex, which would cut down on the number of digits required. However, I'd place a bet on 18 digits, for some obscure reason.

And don't think mandatory RFID tagging isn't coming. It'll be here within 3 generations. It's the next logical step beyond Real ID (if you're a politician that is).
Sander_Marechal

Apr 04, 2007
1:52 PM EDT
> Never saw it

You should. For a dark-fantasy-comic-gone-big-screen it's surprisingly realistic and very 1984-ish. It's also an underwater stab at the totalitarian direction the US is going.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 05, 2007
5:29 AM EDT
_V_ is hardly an "underwater" stab. It's a direct and explicit jab at government itself.

The movie goes into none of the philosophical background that the comic does, unfortunately, and the only time the word "anarchy" is uttered is by some thug as he robs a convenience store.

_V_ was a tryst about the abuse that will always occur when one group is vested with coercive power over others. That it takes the form of a totalitarian government trying to control its "citizens" through fear of "terrorists" merely shows how timeless that theme is.

The philosophy of anarchy, specifically "rules without rulers", is a theme that gets very little active press. Peaceful interaction doesn't make headlines, bomb-throwing chaosists and petty thugs robbing convenience stores does.
devnet

Apr 05, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
I think if enough of this BS continues, there will form an undernet...kinda like there was in IRC.

Wireless MESH networks will pop up and completely bypass the internet backbone. While it won't be incredibly fast, there may be a torrent style backbone that pops up with separate 'nets' coming online and threading themselves together.

People will eventually be fed up and just bypass it. and in those instances...it's their net so no one can tell them what to do with it. The Feds are so far behind the curve that it'd be 20 years before they even talk about stuff like that.

Maybe that net will start on Dark Fiber right?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 05, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
Like this?

http://www.wirelessanarchy.com/

Dark fiber was a nice idea, but it was rooted in its time.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 05, 2007
6:33 AM EDT
Ooops, was just reminded about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oaKZrDCYYQ

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!