Vbootkit: Compromising Windows Vista Security

Story: Security watchers lambast VistaTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
henke54

Apr 05, 2007
8:42 AM EDT
Quoting:Since vbootkit becomes the part of kernel itself, it can basically do anything that the kernel could do.
http://www.rootkit.com/newsread.php?newsid=671
tuxchick

Apr 05, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
oh you MS-bashers, always looking for the dark cloud. In my own words- Vista Is The Most Secure Widnows Ever.

Which could be true!
NoDough

Apr 05, 2007
9:37 AM EDT
You are coming to a saaaaad realization. Allow or deny?
Sander_Marechal

Apr 05, 2007
10:01 AM EDT
NoDough: Tuxchick is right. Vista IS the most secure Windows ever. That doesn't mean it isn't leaky like a seive.
NoDough

Apr 05, 2007
10:53 AM EDT
I was comically referring to this... http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getama...
bigg

Apr 05, 2007
11:36 AM EDT
Yes, Vista is much more secure. You now only have to reinstall the OS twice a month.
jimf

Apr 05, 2007
1:22 PM EDT
> You now only have to reinstall the OS twice a month.

Yes, but now you have to pay again each time ;-)
dcparris

Apr 05, 2007
1:55 PM EDT
Actually, I've been dying to buy the most secure version of Windows ever. Unfortunately, I can't afford it. Guess I'll have to suffer with this Linux stuff.

giggle.
tuxchick

Apr 05, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
NoDough: I got it :) I even saw the commercial on an old-fashioned television set. It was an awesome experience- nice big bright picture, smooth video streaming, and the sound and video were synchronized!

phsolide

Apr 05, 2007
2:02 PM EDT
If you read Dave Aitel's "Daily Dave" email list, you will have seen him write something like "with XP SP2 in complete collapse"...

I don't find the article in any "Daily Dave" archive, but perhaps it's too recent of an article to show in the archives yet.

As I understood him, Dave Aitel was saying that XP SP2 is just so full of holes that you can't count on protecting it. How long until Vista gets to that point? The ANI thing, and now this, in only one short week. Things aren't looking good for Vista's prospects.
phsolide

Apr 05, 2007
2:12 PM EDT
OK, I found the message in my email file. He wrote it in a message titled "runonce and birds.", and indeed, I can't find it in any on-line archive so far.

Dave Aitel writes: [2] This was shoddy work. It's just as bad as every bank putting their login page on a cleartext connection, as if MITM can't rewrite a form. The SDL should say "No default outbound non-signed and sealed connections". But it doesn't. A while back everyone made a big hubbub over Michael Howard's feeling that there should be LESS vulnerabilities in modern Microsoft OS's. I got the feeling he was saying "or else we're all fired". XP SP2 is essentially in complete collapse. If this happens to Vista, a lot of companies might just make the decision to move their data security requirements over to hosting on Google-farms...

CMatters

Apr 05, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
Like most here, it seems that most of my friends and family feel like I am free technical support. My response is usually pretty standard. It goes something like "Do you see a logo that looks kinda like window when you try to boot? Yes? Well, you most likely have a virus. Yes, a virus. It's called windows. Fix it? Umm.. do you have a magnet or big hammer?" At that point they leave me alone. If they don't, I usually fish a PCLOS CD out of my bag and dispense with aspirin.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 05, 2007
2:48 PM EDT
CMatters: I do that too. I simply refuse to support my family's Windows boxes anymore. I'm happy to provide Linux support though :-)
jimf

Apr 05, 2007
3:07 PM EDT
> Allow or deny?

And the average Windows user is most qualified to make that decision? MS trained them to be dumb, now, they're supposed to be the last line of defense.... Oh my! That is a very sad realization.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!