BEAT TeH L33T is finally clear for takeoff

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
helios

Apr 07, 2007
1:37 AM EDT
Without saying too much about it, attorneys for a known member of this community sent me a pull-down order and a cease and desist order for the BEAT TeH L33T question and answer project we announced a couple of months ago. I thought I had it straightened out last month, but they took another run at it. They now have no recourse but to announce to the community who their client is and explain just why he owns the right to the term or word "L33T". It only cost me $5900.00 in lawyer and legal fees to see this through. What a son of a bi

son of a bicentennial celebrator...yeah, that's what I meant to say. That six grand would have built a lot of computers.

Their time is past and all calls issued have been rescinded or dropped. We can now go forward with our little game. So OK...What we would like is three to four members of the LXer.com forum to be the L33Ts here. answers can be flippant, foolish (those are usually mine), preachy, teachy or dopey. They might even be accurate if the muse so strikes you. Email me with your intent or interest and I will either give you a password to the locked forum or you can email me with your response and I will post it for you. Once the answers have been received, it will again be locked down and become a read-only thread. Anyone game? Lemmee know. Here is the one question I would like to have answered this week. I was tempted to do it myself, but I kinda want to see what a couple of you have to say about it. That is to say, I have no idea and I want to know too.

email your responses to helios@lobby4linux.com cc lobby4linux@gmail.com

This question is now posted at http://www.lobby4linux.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=4...

Question: I am running two Linux installs on one machine, one Mepis and the other Kubuntu. I have installed several applications through synaptic such as mp3Report and FAPG. There are many others, but those are the two that come to mind right away.

They are both tools that deal with mp3's and playlists. I notice however, that many of the programs I install, especially the ones run from the command line never make it to the menu. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? How do I get a list of these programs I've installed at a later date. Sometimes the only way I remember I even have them is when I run across them in Synaptic. Please help.
cyber_rigger

Apr 07, 2007
8:10 AM EDT
If you install the "menu" package and run

update-menus

it will catch some of them.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 08, 2007
4:04 AM EDT
The easiest way that's cross distro compatible would probably be a small bash script that makes a list of all commands in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and makes a big list of that, optionally with the file creation date of the executable behind it. That won't show you what packages were installed and when, but it does show all applications (executable commands) available and since when.

Anything else will quickly become very distro or package format specific, relying or rmp, deb, apt, yum, etcetera.

PS: If you use Debian, it has a "debian" menu under applications that lists pretty much every application installed.

You cannot post until you login.