Well, let's be honest

Story: Like Your Distro...? We'll seeTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
SFN

Apr 12, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
that would be the most popular distro amongst people who 1) are willing to donate money and 2) think that sponsoring a car is a good idea.

Put another button on there that says "I think this is a dumb idea" that allows you to choose your favorite distro, then combine the votes from that and the donations and you'll have an accurate popularity contest.
helios

Apr 12, 2007
2:49 PM EDT
SFN, you are such an inspiration to this community. Every advertising project that has been suggested by Lobby4Linux or other sites, you have found a way and a reason to pick them apart. Would you like me to put them up? I might just do that, since I saw this and took the time to pull them all together. There have been four, and you are always among the first three people...Always, to have something negative to say about it. Let's see, what could we do with that energy...how about you actually come up with a way to promote linux to millions and then actually implement it.

Don't just toss out ideas. This community seems to be full of thinkers...we just seem awful short on doers. Get up and get it done or at least get it started. it's probably less work than throwing bricks at every idea truck that comes by you.

I will give you webspace to gather support and funding for any viable idea you have.

h
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 12, 2007
6:13 PM EDT
What's up SFN? No ideas? Your silence is speaking volumes right now..
dcparris

Apr 12, 2007
7:02 PM EDT
I think the soccer idea I saw somewhere might be worth a look. Sponsor a US soccer team. Only thing is, I'm not sure what kind of audience we'd get. I see some interesting ideas for alternatives to the Indy 500, but most lose sight of the fact that we'd be reaching out to ~6 million+ people at once. Does American soccer have 6 million fans? I don't know. Would sponsoring a soccer team get us more advertising for less money? Good question.

I don't have a problem with people offering criticism, but keep it constructive. No one else even cares about marketing GNU/Linux. No one. I really think most people think it's a dumb idea because they don't care. Look at the Digg comments on my article. "Who wants race fans as Linux users?"

I do.
bigg

Apr 12, 2007
7:48 PM EDT
> Look at the Digg comments on my article. "Who wants race fans as Linux users?"

I think that is more a matter of the IQ and maturity of the average Digg user than anything else.

I hope this is an example for many future Linux promotions, not just a one-time event. Whether it is the best bang for the buck probably isn't an issue at this time.
dinotrac

Apr 12, 2007
8:15 PM EDT
Helios -

You go.

I have no right to say anything. I have already paid for a year of buck a month. Up front. Cash on the barrelhead.

Old news. In the past. Been done.

Who cares?

Don't let the nay-sayers slow you down. Something is better than nothing.

Rejoice.

SFN

Apr 13, 2007
4:47 AM EDT
Quoting:What's up SFN? No ideas? Your silence is speaking volumes right now..

Scott,

Actually, I haven't been on since helios' post until now. Check the logs, if such logs are kept. Thanks for the attitude, though.

helios,

If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that this wasn't about your plan to put Linux on the side of a car. In fact, I have no problem with that.

This is about the notion that you will prove which distro is most popular using your donation scheme as a metric. You seem to be under the impression that you will guilt people into donating to your cause by stating that if they don't, they don't really support their distro. That's really very juvenile.

helios

Apr 13, 2007
5:16 AM EDT
That's really very juvenile.

Yep, I'm not going to argue about it...you're right, but 5th Avenue has used it to their advantage for years. The "inhouse" trade name for the technique is called "conflict marketing" Useful when the product or service has an overly-diverse consumer base.

let's see how it does here. Now about those ideas...?
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
5:36 AM EDT
I thought you weren't going to argue about it.
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
5:38 AM EDT
Quoting:I have already paid for a year of buck a month.

dino,

What does that mean?

I don't mean that in a snotty "What's THAT supposed to mean?" kind of way. I've never heard the expression before.
dcparris

Apr 13, 2007
6:41 AM EDT
SFN, 'Buck a Month' is the Lobby4Linux campaign - iirc for their school-related efforts and such. Dino has paid his for the year.
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
6:42 AM EDT
Ah, OK.
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
6:44 AM EDT
I guess that confuses me even more. Wouldn't that give him every right to say something? More right than most, even?
dcparris

Apr 13, 2007
6:48 AM EDT
I'll let Dino answer that one. ;-)
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
>More right than most, even?

Well, I'll admit that the post looks kind of funny on re-read.

I suppose I could fall back on the fact that I have had an interesting couple of weeks and my head is, um, no good for, um, writing those word thingies.

But I am an easy mark for things like this (as evidenced by my paid up status), so I may be too plain dumb to comment on the wunnerfulness of the idea.

Besides, I like fast cars that go vroom vroom and might even have to think a bout a trip to the brickyard --- ain't that bad a drive from here.
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
10:47 AM EDT
Who are you and what have you done with dino?
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2007
11:11 AM EDT
>Who are you and what have you done with dino?

Classified info. Fear not (or, perhaps, fear), the real dino will be back soon.
tuxchick

Apr 13, 2007
11:14 AM EDT
No he won't.
jdixon

Apr 13, 2007
11:50 AM EDT
> No he won't.

Well, now we know who, at least. :)
tuxchick

Apr 13, 2007
12:59 PM EDT
drat, the forum ate half my post. I painfully look up HTML special character codes, and here we go again:

No he won't.

<munch munch, pick teeth >
jimf

Apr 13, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
Ooh... That's just WRONG :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!