The trouble with this bill is no ODF supporter in FL knew.

Story: Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislationTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
DarrenR114

Apr 17, 2007
6:08 AM EDT
I didn't know about this bill, and I live in FL.

And even though I support the idea of immediately implementing Open Document Format as the State standard, I don't agree with the approach taken to "sneak" the legislation through the process.

If they had publicised this bill and associated it with the concept behind the Sunshine Laws (they're about conducting public business out in the *open* under the scrutiny of the public eye) then they probably would have gotten a lot more traction.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 17, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Then it's time for a letter writing campaign to the editors of newspapers, etc.

Don't forget to let your state legislator know.

How far is it from where you are to your state capitol? Dress nice and pay him a visit. Drop off a copy of The Open CD or some such.

Citing the Sunshine Laws and the proprietary nature of other formats, focusing on the benefits of ODF without saying anything negative about other products specifically might work.

"Open format supported by many different vendors, with some of them publishing their work for free" seems unbeatable.

SamShazaam

Apr 17, 2007
6:33 AM EDT
This is the disadvantage we have as a community-based movement. It takes time to get the word out and gather our forces to email, write, phone or meet with our legislators. Typically a couple of days are necessary.

Microsoft, on the other hand, can assemble a team of lobbyists as quickly as the phone calls can be made.

This is why such sneaky tactics should be avoided. We should also support lobbying organizations who can watch for such legislation and stall it until we can gather our forces and apply pressure of our own.
DarrenR114

Apr 17, 2007
6:52 AM EDT
What we would need to get the support of the general community is demonstrate how adopting ODF as government standard will save tax money.

We need to emphasize examples where obsolete and closed standards caused trouble for government agencies.

Since Florida has the Sunshine Laws, analysis must be made to show that using unpublished file formats in the public sector violates the law.

Then we need to get someone familiar with MS history prompting the legislators hearing testimony from the MS lobbyists. Ask the lobbyists why we should trust a corporation that has a history of presenting falsified evidence in court. Pin them to the wall by getting them to agree to be silent if it can be shown that MS did indeed do this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!