Debian Wireless

Story: Configuring Debian/etch on a Dell Latitude D520Total Replies: 19
Author Content
bigg

Apr 18, 2007
7:38 AM EDT
@Sander:

Do you have WPA for your wireless access? I want to set up Debian with WPA, and am looking for a semi-human way to do that. The guides I'm finding with Google indicate the process is on par with a Gentoo installation. If you (or anyone else) have a better way, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
NoDough

Apr 18, 2007
7:52 AM EDT
I can't claim to be an expert on this, but I've managed to get it working with KNetworkManager and the WPASupplicant. Of course, that assumes you're using KDE.
bigg

Apr 18, 2007
8:06 AM EDT
> Of course, that assumes you're using KDE.

That would be my problem. I use gnome or xfce. I will give that a try (the laptop is at home). It wouldn't kill me to have to use kde every so often.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 18, 2007
9:09 AM EDT
Bigg,

Especially with Debian, you don't have to run KDE to use KDE applications. The applications will load what libraries they need, regardless of which ones those are. KDE, GNOME, gtk, qt, motif, whatever.

You might have to select the application through the menu, rather than have them come up on context menus, but that's about the only difference.

So apt-get install kwan or knetworkmanager or whateverthehell it is, and go for it. The dependencies will be taken care of (as you well know).

One thing I've noticed, since I tend to hand-code such things into my etc/network/interfaces file instead, is that trying to get wireless working using those same tools with KNOPPIX just _does_not_ work for me.

It indeed is a very important area of user interface that needs work. I think the developers know this. The underlying tools are all there, it's just putting them together in such a way as to work simply (and with a GUI, sad to admit).

jimf

Apr 18, 2007
9:19 AM EDT
> Especially with Debian, you don't have to run KDE to use KDE applications.

Well, you do need the base libaries, but the apps will run under gnome just fine. One should also mention that gnome apps run quite well in KDE.

Wireless support and setup under Linux has come a long way in the last year, but, there's still a lot of reverse engineering for drivers, and, development of the front ends to be done. I suspect that in another year wireless setup will be a non issue.
bigg

Apr 18, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
> I suspect that in another year wireless setup will be a non issue.

It already is in Mepis. I will give Mr. Woodford credit for solving the wireless problem on Linux. I'll find out how Debian works with wireless.
jimf

Apr 18, 2007
9:51 AM EDT
> It already is in Mepis.

For most maybe, but we still see people coming into IRC #mepis with issues. Depending on your wireless card, your mileage may vary. I don't see any more problems with Debian, but that may be partly a matter of user experience.
jimf

Apr 18, 2007
10:06 AM EDT
@bigg

This looks to be the current setup procedure for gnome in Ubuntu and Debian. http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/05/2055232
bigg

Apr 18, 2007
10:23 AM EDT
Thanks Jim, that looks better than what I found.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 18, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
Quoting:Do you have WPA for your wireless access?

No. WEP is good enough for me at the moment. Last I read it would take a dedicated hacker about an hour of dedicated monitoring of my wifi traffic in order to break it. I don't use my wireless all that much. Plus, my network is sufficiently secure that even *if* he managed to hook a laptop to my connection, he can't do much harm besides from surfing the web.

The wpasupplicant is also what I read being the best solution for WPA right now. I took it from an article posted to LXer a few days ago: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hosted/debian-etch-toshiba-t...
tuxchick

Apr 18, 2007
2:09 PM EDT
More like 60 seconds to break WEP. http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf

Even an unskilled leet haxxor using airsnort or wepcrack only needs 10-15 minutes and not very many captured packets.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 18, 2007
2:53 PM EDT
Ah, that's new to me.

@bigg: Can you comment how WPA is working for you with debian/gnome? Do you use Gnome's network-manager with that?
bigg

Apr 18, 2007
4:54 PM EDT
I will post when (if?) I get it going.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 19, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
bigg

Apr 19, 2007
9:02 PM EDT
I am writing this from my wpa-protected wireless network.

I had to do the following. I got the driver installed using ndiswrapper and installed wpasupplicant from the Etch repositories.

I then followed this tutorial by Carla Schroder to configure wpa_supplicant: http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.p... It was by far the easiest guide I have found - why are the others so complicated? The only difference from the guide was that I had to modify the line

up wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw

to include -Dwext because I use ndiswrapper. The options for -D can be found in the wpa_supplicant help files. I had to create the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf because it did not exist.

The wireless did not work yet, I had to go into > Desktop > Administration > Networking, highlight the wireless connection, click on properties, and choose the ESSID of my network (it's amazing how many unprotected networks there are available).

My wireless now works without a problem. Hopefully the process is simplified at some point in the future.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 19, 2007
9:37 PM EDT
Thanks bigg. Your post prompted me to switch to WPA as well, but I have one problem: It seems my Linksys WAG354G modem/router doesn't support it. It only supports WEP or pre-shared key. I'll have to look into flashing the firmware with Linux and get some more options.
bigg

Apr 20, 2007
9:51 AM EDT
> It only supports WEP or pre-shared key

I clearly am not an expert on wireless, but isn't pre-shared key WPA? From the article linked above:

"Setting up WPA-PSK (Pre-Shared Key), or WPA Personal is a nice solution for home and small business networks that don't want to hassle with an authentication server. Its main drawback is using a shared key, so if there are any generous blabbermouths on your WLAN who want to share your WLAN with their friends, you might want to restrict them to a wired host. The advantages are is it's easy, even across mixed environments, and it's secure, as long you don't have blabbermouths."

I've got WPA-PSK.
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2007
9:59 AM EDT
WPA-PSK is way more secure than WEP, because it uses a strong AES-based cipher, instead of the tiny and feeble 40-bit thingy that WEP uses. WPA-PSK is great for small networks and home users. Even cooler, with HostAP you can easily generate and manage multiple keys without having to setup an authentication server, like RADIUS.

I have a couple of 'recipes' on this in my upcoming 'Linux Networking Cookbook'. Anyone who wants a sneak peek email me at carla@bratgrrl.com. The price is you must give me feedback, especially if you find horrid blunders.

bigg

Apr 21, 2007
4:21 PM EDT
Actually, I found that gnome's network manager does handle WPA automatically. As far as I can tell, I had problems with WPA because I had messed with the configuration files and with network manager itself.

On my laptop, where I hadn't messed with anything, as soon as the driver was installed it detected available wireless networks. I chose my network, it asked for my password, and it worked. No configuration necessary and easier than Windows.

So actually they have solved WPA except for users like me who do things they shoudn't.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 21, 2007
5:07 PM EDT
Well I just checked, and my silly little belkin does WPA also. I guess I'm going to have to give it a try. Someday.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!