Dell Precision M90

Story: Michael Dell's new Linux systemTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2007
1:21 AM EDT
The only one that looked interesting to me didn't have a link, and so one could neither read more about it, nor attempt to purchase it.
Abe

Apr 19, 2007
5:55 AM EDT
I still think Dell is not serious about selling PC with pre-installed Linux. All this hoopla about Michael using Linux and the "breaking news" every where is nothing more than advertising stunts.

It sure will be something to see if it happens soon. But for now, I WONT believe it until I see it.

Am I crazy about Dell PCs? Not at all, I never used them but my daughter have one. There are much better ones in the market that I prefer.

bigg

Apr 19, 2007
6:18 AM EDT
> nothing more than advertising stunts

I've seen this in a number of forms from different people. How could it be an advertising stunt? Telling us they will offer Linux and then not doing it? It's not clear to me how they will gain business by doing that. It seems as effective as posting "Republicans are evil" on their website.
devnet

Apr 19, 2007
6:23 AM EDT
I think it's totally retarded...kinda like the pope using an Ipod that was spewed forth like vomit across the web last year.

Aladdin_Sane

Apr 20, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
Give it about 4 more weeks. Then comment.
Abe

Apr 20, 2007
2:29 PM EDT
Quoting:How could it be an advertising stunt? Telling us they will offer Linux and then not doing it?

I don't know if you are aware or recall that Dell did similar publicity stunts multiple times before and ended up saying "there is no demand for Linux on the desktop".

Now why would they want to do that? How about using this as a bargaining ploy to get a better discount from MS ?

How about getting even more advertising revenue from MS to fill their site with more "Dell recommends Vista"?

You see, Dell always weigh their options. At the time, they must have calculated that getting easy money from MS is probably better than to have to spend money on getting Linux pre-installed. May be this time they are more serious for various reasons and see future benefits. And may be they realize this is the time to get on the Linux band wagon now before HP leaves them in the dust. It has been publicly know by now that HP has couple big Linux prospects with major corporations, may be that has something to do with this latest move.

We shall see!

Quoting:It's not clear to me how they will gain business by doing that. It seems as effective as posting
Not necessarily gaining business but gaining more advertising revenue from MS.

devnet

Apr 20, 2007
4:17 PM EDT
Dell is going to fold like a 20 dollar bill. If they put out Linux, I'll be extremely surprised.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!