Sing it now, "How deep is your love? I really need to learn..."

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2007
3:41 PM EDT
'Cause we're living in a world of fools, breaking us down, when they all should let us be...

But anyway, I have received a really gnarly error message while trying to compile the Nvidia kernel source package in Debian Unstable (and Experimental), on kernel 2.6.20:

-------------- NVIDIA: calling KBUILD... make CC=gcc-4.1 -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-1-686 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv modules make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-1-686' Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 1 modules FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'paravirt_ops' ----------------

Ain't that cute?

jdixon

Apr 20, 2007
3:58 PM EDT
> 'paravirt_ops'

A quick Google search turns up this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1230810

with a link to this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87541

Hopefully it will help.

Alternatively you can compile a new kernel without paravirtualization support.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2007
4:56 PM EDT
I still filed it as a bug report, to make sure that it gets fixed in Debian.

This is one of those "Makes package unusable" things that tends to really get the developers interested.

The whole reason for using a distribution is to not have to compile things like kernels. Otherwise, I'd just use LFS.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2007
5:08 PM EDT
Many thanks for the links. Reading the patching and burrowing and defining, I am again reminded how, although I've compiled multiple kernels, I am _not_ a programmer.

I once had a supervisor who was a programmer tell me that, because I could make the Cisco IOS jump through hoops, I was indeed perfectly capable of being a programmer.

Unfortunately, I had ample opportunity to prove him wrong in the few months before he fired me. The company network had be so completely reliable and stable so once I had been there for several months, and then proven that I was useless as a programmer, they "just didn't need a network guy anymore."

The fact that the company is long since defunct is my only emotional gratification.
jdixon

Apr 20, 2007
5:57 PM EDT
> I am again reminded how, although I've compiled multiple kernels, I am _not_ a programmer.

If it's any consolation, neither am I. For pretty much the same reasons. I can throw together a quick shell script if needed, compile a new kernel with specified options, and do the tar -xvzf, ./configure, make, make install routine fairly well, but that's about it.

> The fact that the company is long since defunct is my only emotional gratification.

Do you suppose management learned any lessons on the way down? Probably not. :(

You cannot post until you login.