RALink: It Just Works - Yeah right!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
dcparris

Apr 20, 2007
4:10 PM EDT
I just received a new Edimax EW7608 card bearing the RT2561 chipset that is supposed to work out of the box with Debian Etch (http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/).

I plugged the thing in, hoping it would "just work", and 4 hours later, I still can't figure out how to get it working! Arrrggghhhh! The CD included pre-built drivers - just copy them into

/etc/Wireless/RTxxxx and run

/sbin/insmod /path/to/rt61.ko.

Should be able to /etc/init.d/networking restart

Right? Wrong!

error inserting /path/to/rt61.ko. -1 Invalid module format

Am I trying too hard? I didn't see any reference as to which way I'm supposed to hold my tongue, either.

ifconfig does not see it. iwconfig shows lo, eth1, sit0 - but no eth0 or wlan0. I can't even get things that work out of the box to work out of the box!

I must be Charlie Brown's first cousin. Sigh! Anyone have any ideas, before I go compiling the source code?

Thanks!
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2007
4:26 PM EDT
Ee, you got bad instructions. Never use insmod; always use modprobe, because modprobe resolves module dependencies for you. Don't use the extension on the module name; something like this should do the job:

# modprobe rt61

Try that first, and if you're still having problems take a look at this page:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296822&highlight=rt...

dcparris

Apr 20, 2007
4:37 PM EDT
modprobe said "FATAL: module rt61 not found. When I get home this evening, I'll try the Ubuntu tutorial, which takes it from source. If I knew how to get the rt61.ko module in the right place, I might be done. Many thanks!
dinotrac

Apr 20, 2007
4:42 PM EDT
Rev -

Nice to see --

A) That I am not the only one here and taking a stab at Ubuntu, and

B) pulling my hair out (oops! Sorry Rev, I forgot!) over wireless.

In my case, it's over a Realtek 8187B powered Trendnet dongle. I have the driver from Realtek which works find in 2.6.18, but...

Those darned kernel guys!!!

They re-factored/re-wrote/re-engineered/re-something the wireless API for 2.6.20 and the driver no longer compiles nor works.

BTW - Is it possible that your problem is a kernel/driver version mismatch?
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2007
5:21 PM EDT
Kernel modules need to be in the exactly correct directory. try /lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net/

dinotrac

Apr 20, 2007
5:43 PM EDT
tc -

That may be true of modprobe, but it isn't true of insmod. You can insmod from just about anywhere.
dcparris

Apr 20, 2007
6:05 PM EDT
Dino: I'm using Etch, but the tutorial is for Ubuntu. ;-) Ya gotta remember, I'm a Debian convert. I would be willing to lay odds it would have worked if I had done a fresh install.

TC: I'll try putting the .ko file in the right directory.
jdixon

Apr 20, 2007
6:39 PM EDT
> try /lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net/

In the 2.4 kernels at least, I believe that would be /lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net/wireless.
jimf

Apr 20, 2007
7:33 PM EDT
I'd bet Don is using a varient of the 2.6.18 Etch kernel.

The path is:

/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
tuxchick

Apr 20, 2007
9:24 PM EDT
Crud, I forgot how to do new kernel modules. You need depmod -a too.

Definitely not plug n play!
dcparris

Apr 20, 2007
10:16 PM EDT
So that should be something like: depmod -a rt61 (or without the rt61?) modprobe rt61

Correct?
jdixon

Apr 21, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
> Correct?

Yes, but without the rt61. Depmod scans your module tree and determines your module dependencies. It doesn't take an individual module as an argument. Once it's been run modprobe should work properly with the new module.
dcparris

Apr 21, 2007
6:57 AM EDT
That didn't work either. I'll follow the Ubuntu source compilation tutorial. Failing that, I'll resort to my former stratgey of re-installing the OS.

"They said it would 'just work'." - dcparris disgruntled rt61 user.
jimf

Apr 21, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
> my former stratgey of re-installing the OS

Ahh... I see new Debian users say that so often and it's absolutely 'wrong'. One of the major points of running Debian is that you can fix virtually anything, and, 'never' have to reinstall the system. I'm pretty sure you're gonna learn that Don, but, it will probably take you a few more reinstalls :D
hkwint

Apr 21, 2007
3:06 PM EDT
Don: I have some experience with the Ralink drivers too.

At the moment, there's the old RT61 'legacy' driver, but the developers are trying hard to integrate all RT25xx drivers into the new RT2x00 driver.

Anyway, here's my advice: -Take your WiFi card out, and use a magnifying glass to look at the RaLink chip. Be sure there really _IS_ a RaLink 2561 chip present. Once, I was trying a RT2500 driver with a card that wasn't a RT2500, if I'm correct it was 2561 instead. I was only able to find out by looking at the chip's surface itself, but /sbin/lspci -vv could also help. -After you're really sure, go to the 'RaLink community support' forums:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=...

is the place to start. If I remember correctly, I tried to make a 2561 card work back in January, but it didn't work out then, since the 2561 wasn't supported with WPA encryption (WPA_Supplicant didn't have a RT module).

If the answer isn't at the forum yet, make a login and ask others for help. People over there are very competent.
dcparris

Apr 21, 2007
7:32 PM EDT
The chip is supposed to be 2561 - that's the one advertised as working. I haven't been on the system all day, and I have got to get some rest now.
dcparris

Apr 22, 2007
9:39 PM EDT
Tuxchix is my hero!!! The tutorial worked. I used the most recent driver, downloaded from ralink. That meant using the new driver version in the appropriate places (replacing 'driver-1.0.4.0' with 'driver-1.1.0.0'). But I think I also realize at least one problem with what I was doing before. I edited the .dat file in regular mode, not binary mode. Anyway, I am now using my shiny new RA Link card with the GPL'ed drivers!!! Woot! Woot!

I'm still a bit disappointed, since I honestly believed it was going to 'just work' right out of the box. I mean, the site even specifically named Debian Etch. But it's done now. Whew!

Now if I can get it to work at work, I'll be a very dangerous man indeed. ;-)
tuxchick

Apr 23, 2007
8:17 AM EDT
Hurrah the rev!

Perhaps 'out of the box' means 'after you unpackage it and go through a meelyun steps it works'

:P
dcparris

Apr 23, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
:-D

I still say if I was installing some_distro x.n.x, it would have worked fine - might even have auto-detected the card during installation. One of these days, I'll put that theory to the test, but not today. ;-)
jdixon

Apr 23, 2007
9:45 AM EDT
> ...if I was installing some_distro x.n.x, it would have worked fine...

Well, you can find out some day when you're feeling a bit feistier. :)
jimf

Apr 23, 2007
10:07 AM EDT
> a very dangerous man indeed. ;-)

Yuh, you've been proving that for a long time Don :D
dcparris

Apr 23, 2007
5:28 PM EDT
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

:-D

You cannot post until you login.