Problems with 2.6.20 and new Xorg with the old driver

Story: NVIDIA 100.14.03 Display DriverTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 21, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
I've run into two strange incidences in the last couple of days.

First, with the 2.6.20 kernel, the nvidia 1-8776 (or whatever) _and_ the 1-9550 (again or whatever) both give the following error when compiling:

NVIDIA: calling KBUILD... make CC=gcc-4.1 -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-1-686 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv modules make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-1-686' Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 1 modules FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'paravirt_ops'

Ain't that sweet?

And today, updating to Xorg "whatever version it is in Debian Sid today" causes the nvidia kernel module to not be detected under 2.6.18, even though it was running just fine before. Oh well.

I guess this is all just the turbulence of a passing Debian Stable release. Everything goes to heck (Sid breaks all his toys) for a while after such a release.

So I'm back to the "nv" driver at 1024x768 and 16 bits of color instead of 1400x1050 and 32bits hardware accelerated. Hahahaha.

Bitch bitch, moan moan, nothing good on TV tonight...

jsusanka

Apr 21, 2007
6:47 PM EDT
I don't think you are alone - I have some trouble with the 2.6.20 kernel and xorg on fedora core 6 - had to go back to the 2.6.19 kernel and everything works fine but when I go to the .20 x locks up everytime. I filed a bug with fedora but I have no error messages of any kind x just locks up. so I think it is beyond the drivers for xorg - it seems to have something to do with the kernel and xorg in general.
jdixon

Apr 21, 2007
7:46 PM EDT
The nvidia drivers are working fine on Meredith's machine with a 2.6.20.3 kernel, so it's not the 2.6.20 kernel in general, it must be something specific about the configuration. I know that in Bob's case it's a conflict with the headers pulled in by including paravirtualization.
herzeleid

Apr 21, 2007
10:47 PM EDT
Just curious, anybody running beryl with this new driver, and can tell us whether the "black window" bug has been addressed with this release?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 22, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
I've had folks tell me that the new and improved nvidia 100-whattheheck work, but they're not in Debian yet.

Someone else mentioned that they downgraded xserver-xorg-core back one revision and the nvidia driver was again recognized. So, it seems that everything has a resolution, it only will mean time for them to be resolved.

What really got me was the "violates the GPL" message. How neat is that? I wonder if this is exactly the sort of thing the "linking" aspect of the LGPL was designed to handle....

Anyway, hats off to the Debian developers, I fully expect this kind of chaos after a Stable release, while in the last year absolutely nothing surprising has happened.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!