More hardware advice: ADSL + VOIP router

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Apr 22, 2007
10:29 PM EDT
Another cry out to the geniuses here on LXer.

I am going to test VOIP and see if I can get rid of my old fashioned telephone line altogether. My wonderful ISP offers ADSL without a phoneline and can transfer my regular phone number over to VOIP. However, I am going to need some new hardware for that, either a VOIP convertor to hook my phone to the router, or a new router that comes with VOIP support directly.

Since the cost of a new router isn't much higher that a separate VOIP convertor I was thinking about replacing my current Linksys WAG354G router with something that can do everything I want and is fully open source. Cost is of less importance to me than functionality. Here's what I want:

- A minimum of 4 but preferably 8 LAN ports and preferably Gigabit NICs. All my other gear has Gigabit network support. The only reason that I am running 100 Mbps now is because the Linksys router isn't any faster. - VOIP support so I can hook up my regular phone - ADSL 2 support - Wifi with WPA encryption - A DHCP server that understands hostnames. Currently I have to maintain the /etc/hosts file on all my computers so they can find each other. I'd like to get rid of that manual work. - Quality of Service. With regular network backups, an icecast streaming server and a large music collection I burn quite a bit of bandwidth, both internally as up and down from the internet. I'll probably need QoS to make sure VOIP stays of high enough quality during peak loads.

Thanks in advance!

You cannot post until you login.