back to normal?

Story: Linux: 2.6.21 Kernel ReleasedTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jimf

Apr 26, 2007
9:50 PM EDT
The 2.6.21-1 kernel just hit the repos. If you're running an Intel ide chipset you've probably had to deal with the IDE changes in naming from hd to sd. The 2.6.21 kernel corrects(?) that and we're back to the old hd nomenclature for ide devices.

In real terms, that means that you can run a 2.6.21 or a 2.6.18 kernel, but, not anything in between unless you change fstab and menu.lst. That's not something you want to do every time you boot.

The good thing is that 2.6.21 seeems even more stable and faster than 2.6.20. If you were happy with 20, you'll like 2.6.21.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 27, 2007
1:06 AM EDT
With the help of my best-good-friend and Debian guru, jimf I just upgraded to the 2.6.21 kernel.

My machine boots up about a third faster then it did before..very cool.

Now I gotta figure out how to edit my boot-splash window to remove the three versions of the 2.6.20 that wouldn't work and the Ubuntu 2.6.14 that no longer exists either.

I want to keep the 2.6.18 one though..

Hmmm...

/scratches his head and proceeds to http://www.linuxquestions.org to get some info...

jimf

Apr 27, 2007
1:30 AM EDT
Do a search in synaptic by name for 'Linux-image'. Double click on the installed ver header and scroll to the top. You should see all the kernels that you have installed. Select the ones you don't want, right click and mark them for removal. Then click on apply. Uninstalling will also automagically remove the entries from your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

That's it, no editing required. If you do ever need to edit the boot menu. That same /boot/grub/menu.lst file can be manually edited in your choice of editor (root session).
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 27, 2007
1:45 AM EDT
See what I mean people? He's the Krishna of Debian I'm telling you!!

In just over four sentences he explained it better than anything I could find..

The sad part is I remember now that he had already told me this before too.

Thank God your patient Jim otherwise I would look real stupid.

Wait a second..let me rephrase that..

;-)

jimf

Apr 27, 2007
2:06 AM EDT
Harri Har Har ;-)
jezuch

Apr 27, 2007
12:43 PM EDT
Quoting:the IDE changes in naming from hd to sd.

Is it really Intel-specific? I thought it was the nomenclature of IDE layer ported to libata, which actually is experimental and thus optional. Is there something more to that?
jimf

Apr 27, 2007
1:40 PM EDT
> Is there something more to that?

Could be, but, to my knowledge this was only effecting Intel chipsets that way. Also remember I'm talking about kernels in http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ that go into the Debian experimental repo. Those Devs have a whole lot more skill and experience than I do, so, I usually don't question what patches they choose to use.
DarrenR114

Apr 28, 2007
5:35 AM EDT
Is the hd to sd thing perhaps related to the rising prevalance of SATA drives? Are the hd devices still there as well?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!