Things you can do in Linux, but not in M$ Windows

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
NoDough

May 04, 2007
1:34 PM EDT
Browse the web and start this thread while the operating system is installing to my hard drive. :D
tracyanne

May 04, 2007
1:37 PM EDT
You're obviously running a Live CD version
Bob_Robertson

May 04, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
This might be possible in Windows, but I do not know how: ----------------------- $ dmesg -----------------------

I mean, really, how wonderful it is to (for instance) plug in a USB device, type dmesg, and see what it is that the kernel thought just happened.

Even, surprise surprise, if the kernel didn't know what to do with it, that will show up too!

Or how about this: ----------------------- $ lsof ----------------------- "That file is in use and cannot be deleted/moved/renamed/whatever." Ok, so what is using it? Windows? SOL.

At least, in my experience.

tracyanne

May 05, 2007
1:30 AM EDT
The other day I was installing some software on my work computer - it runs WinXP, it's got 2Gig of RAM, and I have to reboot it every now an then, because it seems to run out of Memory (it starts thrashing the HD as obviously it's chewing up the swapfile), and it becomes even more of a pig) - and for some reason Outlook decide that it wasn't going to display the inbox contents - there was a message that a program using the outlook database had died suddenly. So I reboot, as nothing else seems to work - killing Outlook and relaunching it made no difference - so I mention this to my boss and the thought that I have to reboot my computer doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Some days I just get so damn frustrated, that I have to rush home to the warm soft embrace of my Linux computer.
dogatemycompute

May 05, 2007
3:00 AM EDT
I am just happy to go without constant antivirus protection, spyware protection and Genuine Microshaft, Lube-Free, Dis-advantage updates!

Seriously though.. One of the things I can really appreciate is being able to simply copy/paste my entire profile onto a key chain and move it from machine to machine. If you want to really get fancy then you can boot the entire O/S on the keychain! .. and you don't need a scaled down version of the software either. Just trying to fit SP1 on a CD so I can boot BartPE takes forever and most of the functionality is missing.

I'll think of more later.. :-) Its late and i'm in the process of installing another distro.

You cannot post until you login.