Tomorrows live event.

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
helios

May 06, 2007
7:24 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

Just a drop-by visit to ask you, if you can, stop by http://tux500.com/chat.php tomorrow at 1200 pm (-5 GMT). If you cannot participate in the live chat with Stephan Gregoire, there is a place in the tux500.com forums to leave your questions. Some have already been left for him so it is generating some interest. Thanks to many of you for that. I will be working so I won't be able to be there, but a transcript of the event will be available for view and download shortly after it finishes. This is the last actual exposure we are going to have to Stephan until after the race.

Help us wish him GodSpeed and Good Skills. He himself states he trusts not in luck.

h
Sander_Marechal

May 06, 2007
10:11 PM EDT
I posted this on your forum too, but WikiPedia says noon EDT is GMT-4, not GMT-5. So, that would make it 18:00 Central European Summer Time, right?
tracyanne

May 06, 2007
10:58 PM EDT
That will make it 5 AM AEST
helios

May 07, 2007
2:08 AM EDT
I am a slobbering idiot when it comes to translating this time edt/udt/gdt/qrs/tuv thing. My apologies. The event is scheduled for 12 pm Indianapolis Indiana Time. Which is I believe EDT. I need asprin...

h
NoDough

May 07, 2007
6:03 AM EDT
Eastern Standard Time is -5 Easter Daylight Time is -4

We are currently on Easter Daylight Time.
tuxchick

May 07, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
and you call yourselves geeks, sheesh. Have ye not heard of Google? Search 'time zone converter' and like magic, you find one!

;)
SFN

May 07, 2007
6:37 AM EDT
And the moral of this story is, quote everything in local time and let everyone else figure it out.
jimf

May 07, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
the problem is Indiana. Indiana always runs on EST, so it's -5 GMT no matter what the rest of the country is doing :P
SFN

May 07, 2007
8:15 AM EDT
Actually, Indiana went on Daylight Savings Time last year.
Scott_Ruecker

May 07, 2007
8:19 AM EDT
SFN is right, its just us crazies out here in Arizona that have no use for Daylight Savings.

I'm not changing my clock for jack..the Sun is up too long as it is anyway.

;-)
jimf

May 07, 2007
8:26 AM EDT
> Actually, Indiana went on Daylight Savings Time last year.

Aww, come on! Ain't nothing (cept Arizona?) that's consistant anymore :(

Or as Scott would say, 'stupid time'....
dcparris

May 07, 2007
8:44 AM EDT
I think I need to move to AZ. Glad to know someone has some sense. Would have thought the sun would have cooked their brains by now. Maybe Arizonians have heat-resistant heads?
Scott_Ruecker

May 07, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
Quoting:Maybe Arizonians have heat-resistant heads?

I don't know about resistant but I will say mt head is resilient..

Stupid Heat
SFN

May 07, 2007
9:00 AM EDT
I don't know that I would refer to refusing to be on the same time zone for half of the year as the rest of pretty much everyone you will ever deal with as sensible.
tuxchick

May 07, 2007
9:06 AM EDT
SFN, it's like refusing to cave in to Microsoft as the standard for everything. DST is stupid, and so is enslaving oneself to Redmond.

See? It's totally on-topic. :D
jimf

May 07, 2007
9:11 AM EDT
> See? It's totally on-topic. :D

Yeah, and it's also a 'So, also a make up your mind already!' Kind of thing.
Sander_Marechal

May 07, 2007
2:15 PM EDT
So many calculations and still you all apparently got the time wrong :-) Where were all of you? Most of the time it was just Bob, Stephan and me in the chat. At some point a certain Jarod (IIRC) dropped in, asked a few questions and left again, but that was it. I would have at least expected Helios and Don or Scott there. Oh well, perhaps noon (US time) isn't the best time to plan something like this.

Overall it was quite enjoyable though. But one thing did stand out: Dont use a fork to eat soup (a.k.a. use the right tool for the right job). The webchat was quite crappy and Stephan and Bob were obviously having connection problems. So was I because at certain points the messages from other people simply didn't show up until I submitted something. A regular IRC channel would probably have worked a little better.
dcparris

May 07, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
I wish I had had the time to drop in. I need advance notice of things like this.
Sander_Marechal

May 07, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
Helios announced in on May 2 on lobby4linux, tux500 and here in LXer as well (story submission). Even I managed to note in in my agenda and I hardly ever use it :-)

Oh well, there's a chat log and radio version to appear on tux500 if I read correctly.
dcparris

May 07, 2007
3:14 PM EDT
O.k., I just have too much to do. :-(
Scott_Ruecker

May 07, 2007
4:17 PM EDT
I am sorry I missed it, but I have been out of the office all day installing video cameras at a sub-division 50 miles away. I literally just got back to the office.

I really wish I could have made it.
helios

May 07, 2007
6:54 PM EDT
Fact is, alot of people made it. I just received screenshots of my daughters soc/sci class watching the chat. I know for a fact I was in there but seemed to be invisible. I posted several times but it was like being a shadow person in an Art Bell dimension. Same with Allie's class. They sent in questions ahead of time so they could devote their time to just watching the exchange. So, I was in there, An entire section of the State Office of Risk Management was there to watch (the girls all have a crush on Stephan) and my daughter's class was in there. So...I think the problem lies more with the stupid chat software than anything else. Bob did the absolute best he could and he did a fine job but you are right...there was a connectivity problem during the chat. Allie reported to me after I got home that it seemed to stop then start again.

All in all though, it was not a total disaster. We had an entire division of the State of Texas Attorney General's office in attendance (at least the girlz) about 300 of them if I have the roster right. They have assembled an E-card for Stephan for the night before the race.

First time I've ever seen E-nighties and slinky stuff. LOL

Now girls,,,the man has other things on his mind.

I WAZ in there btw...I just couldn't get anyone to see me. I work in a strict Intranet environment...a quick hack got me out for a brief time...now if I can just find a way to zap the server records,,,

h

You cannot post until you login.